Is it permissible to perform prayer when the computer or television is on?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 22:05
Dear Brother / Sister,
Television and computer are not haram by themselves. However, if the images on these devices prevent someone performing his/her prayer in khushu(humbly), it will be makrooh (abominable). It will be makrooh like praying in a room where there is a photograph though it does not catch the attention. The closer the image to the scope of the view of a praying person, the more makruh (abominable) it will be.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to close the eyes during the prayer?
- Is it permissible to pray in a room when the TV is on?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers with clothes that have some pictures/photos on?
- Is it permissible to pray in dark? Will the prayer which is performed in dark be valid since the place of sajdah is not properly visible?
- Is it permissible to pray in front of the mirror?
- Should a Muslim be guided by the Quran or hadiths? Are the Sunnah and Hadiths binding? To what extent are hadiths reliable?
- Is it permissible for men and women to perform prayers sockless or stockingless? Is the prayer which is performed barefoot valid?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers with shoes on? Is the same thing valid for janazah prayer?
- Is it permissible for a person who has to perform his prayers only by sitting to lean on somewhere as well?
- Can an imam lead a daily prayer twice?