Is it permissible for men and women to perform prayers sockless or stockingless? Is the prayer which is performed barefoot valid?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 21:33
Dear Brother / Sister,
The private parts (awrah parts) of men and women are organs that are fard (obligatory) to be covered and forbidden (haram) to show to other people.
The awrah parts of the body of the man are the parts between his navel and knees. As for women, her whole body is awrah except her face, hands and feet.
For this reason, it is makrooh (abominable) for women to perform their prayers sockless though according to some scholars, the prayer of women performed barefoot will be valid.
And there is no religious drawback to men performing their prayers sockless and to an imam leading prayers barefoot.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for a man and women to pray without socks? Could anybody perform prayers barefoot?
- What are the decrees about awrah places being opened while performing prayers? Is it permissible to perform prayers wearing a garment with a hole as big as a walnut a bit over the knee?
- How Many Pillars (Essential Parts) are there in a Prayer?
- Is the prayer of a man invalidated if his waist is opened in prayer? I am very tall; therefore, my waist is opened in prayer no matter what I wear. Is it regarded as an excuse?
- What should i do if my hair was appearing during namaz?
- Is it a sin to go on holiday to the seaside in summer? We go to the seaside but women and men go swimming together. Is it appropriate for us to be there; is it appropriate for my spouse to swim there?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? To what extent can hands and feet be uncovered? How should the head be covered?
- Is laser epilation permissible?