Is it permissible for a Muslim to close his/her eyes without any excuse while praying?
Submitted by on Wed, 06/10/2010 - 18:34
Dear Brother / Sister,
Closing eyes while praying is makrooh. In one of the hadiths, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “When you stand for prayer, do not close your eyes.''
It is Sunnah to look at the place of prostration, with closing eyes, this Sunnah will be abandoned. However, here what is makrooh is tanzihan makrooh that is it is not a great sin.
However, eyes can be closed in order to achieve khushoo and spiritual zest so that one can avoid looking at a thing which is not permissible or when there are things that may distract him/her from his/her prayer or with the aim of disconnecting him/her from visible things.
Mehmed Paksu Aileye Özel Fetvalar
Questions on Islam
- Could you please explain and tell the difference between "Karamah" and "Istidraj"?
- What are the criteria for social intercourse with non-Muslims? Is it permissible to be business partners with them?
- Can I have a chance to select or change the person whom I am going to marry by praying?
- What should young people who suffer from shyness do and what should they do in order to gain self-confidence?
- How should we inform our children about sexuality?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- How should we see the illnesses like depression and stress from the point of view of religion, how should one be treated spiritually? Are there any hadiths of our Prophet regarding the issue?
- Could you give information about hatred and resentment among Muslims?
- What should our style of speech be like? What are the appropriate manners for speaking? What about the appropriate manners for listening?
- Is there a hadith like this?; “No one will enter Paradise based solely on his deeds”.