Is it permissible for me to talk with my fiance via sms before marriage?
Assalam-o-Alaikum.. May Allah forgive us all for our wrongdoings and bless us to be steady on the right path. Aameen. I want to ask about what shari'ah says about Fiance' talking to each other before marriage, keeping in mind that the coversation is only over the text messages or SMS and about General life, not personal things. Is it Okay to talk over SMS only and talking about General things only, after every few days?
Submitted by on Thu, 26/02/2009 - 08:52
Dear Brother / Sister,
Engagement is not a marriage agreement, but it is a marriage promise. For this reason, those who are engaged are regarded as namahram (not a close relative) for each other and they cannot be together unless there is a mahram (so closely related by blood that marriage with him/her is forbidden) person with them. For this reason, even if they are engaged, it is not permissible for them to be together, to look at the parts of their bodies which are haram (forbidden) to look at and touch each other. And they should pay attention to their talk.
The engaged people have to be careful when they talk to each other on the phone, through msn etc...
For example, if they talk about love, affection, backbiting, lies, and about anything that arouses sexual desires, it is definitely not right.
However, if it is about religious matters that remind Allah, death, hereafter and religious feelings and thoughts, certainly it cannot be said that it is forbidden. The criterion should be as mentioned. When you act in accordance with those criteria, we can say that you do not commit sins and you protect yourselves. Also, we advise you to ask your conscience about what you do. If your conscience is not comfortable, give up what you are doing.
Questions on Islam
- How should engaged people behave when they come together?
- Is it Halal to be with my fiance near my family or brothers
- Engagement breakup
- Is it right for an engaged couple to talk (about physical relations) before getting married so that they may ease out difficulty?
- What are the limits for an engaged girl and boy to tell each other their desires?
- How should engagement and the period of engagement be? What should the criterion for the engaged couple to meet each other be?
- Can we listen Arabic and Urdu islamic naats or qasidahs?
- Is the road to marriage longer compared to Christianity?
- Is falling in love considered a sin in Islam? Is it a sin to have this feeling only inside without telling anyone?
- relationship between muslim and nonmuslim