Submitted by on Sun, 15/08/2010 - 23:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
If you think that you won’t be able to get on well then it is not religiously sin to break the engagement. Besides engagement is a period of knowing each other. It is natural if you don’t find him/her appropriate for you as a spouse.
Your fiancé/fiancée may have wrong deeds in the past. If s/he fells regret for them and not doing any of them at the moment then we think that it is better not to examine him/her thoroughly. Because anybody can make mistakes. What is important is that his/her refusal to do them again and his/her decision to be a faithful person. We advice you not to judge him/her with the past.
But the decision is yours. If you think that his/her past will make you unhappy then it is better to separate from him/her before getting marry.
Questions on Islam
- Can I have a chance to select or change the person whom I am going to marry by praying?
- How should engaged people behave when they come together?
- What are the limits for an engaged girl and boy to tell each other their desires?
- Are all of our sins forgiven during Ramadan?
- Is it permissible for me to talk with my fiance via sms before marriage?
- If our prayer does not prevent us from shameful and unjust deeds, does it mean that the prayers we perform will not be accepted?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim to close his/her eyes without any excuse while praying?
- Ramadan Law from Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
- To those who are thinking of getting married
- Is there a hadith like this?; “No one will enter Paradise based solely on his deeds”.