Is it permissible to develop a computer software in which interest payment is calculated on bonds?
Submitted by on Sat, 05/09/2009 - 12:50
Dear Brother / Sister,
1-Just as it is haram (act or deed which is prohibited by Allah) to do evil deeds, so too is it not allowed to be means for prohibited things. In this sense, being a means for such a thing holds a person responsible. After all, most of our scholars hold the belief that it is forbidden to do such a thing.
2- However, since you are not directly engaged in the interest transaction, you will not get the same sin because what is haram is to misuse your work. After all, setting up a program in essence is not illicit. Therefore, the program you are going to develop for them is not directly haram. We can compare it to a store hired for an alcohol manufacturer. According to Imamı Azam, it is not forbidden to rent out the store for someone who is going to turn out it to alcohol manufacturing place. From this point, the work itself that you do is not forbidden but rather what is illicit is to use your work wrongly.
3-However, it does not mean that you are totally free of responsibility even if it is not illicit. Helping them in such a matter is at least makrooh (abominable). Makrooh means it is close to haram and it makes you responsible. Consequently, we do not advise you to do such a thing if you are not under an obligation.
4- It is not abominable for you if your work is multi-functional and the people making the interest transactions are going to use your program, that is to say, if your work is not specifically designed for interest purposes.
Questions on Islam
- Future and Options Trading
- THE LABORATORY OF THE UNIVERSE AS A METAPHOR
- Is it permissible to do different things and to make phone calls during working hours?
- If a person uses illegitimately earned money as capital and starts a legitimate earning, what is the decree about the new earning? Are the goods that are taken and trade that is made completely haram?
- Is it haram to work in the production of clothes that are contrary to tasattur (hijab), to manufacture and sell them? Is the money earned from them halal?
- What is an illicit relationship? What should we understand from illicit relationships (e.g prostitution, fornication)?
- Is it appropriate to pay commission to someone who works in a company that we desire to sell our products to, in order to persuade them to buy your products?
- Is it permissible to work in banks and insurance companies?
- There are so many banks that claim to be "Islamic", that is "Interest Free" banking. Could you explain please which banks are preferable?