If someone does not perform salah in congregation even if he/she does not have any excuses, is his/her salah accepted?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 13:34
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to the Hanafi,Maliki and some Shafii scholars, to perform salah in congregation is “sunnah al-muakkadah”. For, if performing salah in congregation were fard, performing salah alone would not be allowable.
The proof of these scholars is the following hadith: “To perform salah in congregation is 27 (in another narration 25) times better than performing alone.” (Bukhari, Buyu, 49; Muslim, Masajid, 345,346; Abu Dawud, Salah, 47; Ibn Majah, Masajid, 16)
According to the most of the Shafii scholars, to perform salah in congregation is fard al-kifayah. Accordingly, if the salah is not performed in congregation in a quarter, the whole quarter dwellers become sinful; if some of the perform it, the others get rid of the sin. As is seen, this view is not so different from the previous one.
According to the Hanbali Madhhab, to perform salah in congregation is “fard al-ayn”. According to this view, the one who does not perform the salah in congregation without any excuse becomes sinful. However, the salah performed alone is valid. (see W. Zuhayli, al-Fiqhu’l-Islami, 2/149-151)
The meaning of the hadith mentioned in the question should be as follows: “The salah of the person whose house is next to the mosque cannot be outside the mosque.” This hadith narrated by Daraqutni is weak. (see ibid)
According to the scholars who take this hadith into account, it does not mean that “the salah is not valid”; it means “the salah is not a perfect salah with full thawabs.”
Questions on Islam
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- It is said that there is no qada (missed) prayer in the Quran and hence there is no prayer called qada prayer. Is it true? Will you explain it with fiqh evidences?
- What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
- Can you give some information about not performing salah relying on the idea that sooner or later Allah will forgive me. Will there be a difference between those who perform their salahs and those who do not perform their salahs?
- Can doctors who work in the emergency service of hospitals postpone their prayers?
- Is it regarded worship to sit in the mosque in order to perform prayers there?
- In what case does Allah not accept a salah performed by a person?
- What is negligence in salah?
- Did the Prophet (pbuh) ever miss any prayers and perform qada (missed) prayers?