If it is the spirit that gives the feeling of vitality to the body and if the body dies when the spirit leaves, what happens to the spirit when we are anesthetized while undergoing surgery?
Submitted by on Wed, 09/01/2019 - 13:54
Dear Brother / Sister,
The separation of the spirit from the body is called death. Therefore, the spirit is in the body when you are asleep, having an operation and unconscious.
The state caused by anesthesia can be perceived as a deep sleep. We sleep when some part of the anterior cortex layer of the brain is deactivated; similarly, when this layer of the brain is deactivated more deeply by anesthesia, narcotic drowsiness occurs.
It is not possible for the spirit to leave the body when one is asleep; nor can it leave the body during anesthesia. The spirit continues to remain in the body. For, the spirit has external body, is an independent being, has consciousness and is a law of the realm of order; it is difficult to say something clear regarding the issue since we do not know the real nature of the spirit.
Questions on Islam
- When is spirit given to the fetus in the uterus?
- How can we warn those who want to despise handicapped people to make fun of them and to offend them by using some phrases like a “manufacturing defect”?
- How do I abstain from masturbation successfully? Can You Enlighten Me About the Islamic Ruling on Masturbation, Its harms, Ways of Getting Rid of It?
- Is there penalty in the grave? What are the verses in the Quran related to penalty in the grave? If there is penalty in the grave, will it be for the body or the spirit? Is penalty in the grave contrary to Allah’s mercy?
- Why does Allah allow bad deeds to be committed in this world? Is it not injustice to watch oppression, injustice and evil without doing anything?
- Visiting graves, tawassul and shafa’ah are true
- Will you give information about Allah's names?
- After the three months and the fast of Shawwal
- What are the wisdoms behind performing prayers 5 times every day?
- What should economic systems, principles and basic rules be like according to Islam?