How many times of salah are stated in the Qur’an? Are there any evidences showing that salahs are performed five times in a day?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 13:14
Dear Brother / Sister,
Allah Almighty states the following:
“And perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), at the two ends of the day and in some hours of the night [i.e. the five compulsory Salât (prayers)]. Verily, the good deeds remove the evil deeds (i.e. small sins). That is a reminder (an advice) for the mindful (those who accept advice).” (Hud, 11/114)
There are morning and evening salahs at the two ends of the day and there is night salah in some hours of the night. The three times of salah are mentioned in the verse above.
“Perform As¬Salât (Iqamât-as-Salât) from mid-day till the darkness of the night (i.e. the Zuhr, 'Asr, Maghrib, and 'Ishâ' prayers), and recite the Qur'ân in the early dawn (i.e. the morning prayer). Verily, the recitation of the Qur'ân in the early dawn is ever witnessed (attended by the angels in charge of mankind of the day and the night).”(al-Isra, 17/78)
The salah that is performed from mid-day till the darkness of the night is the afternoon salah. Morning salah is repeated in the verse.
“So bear patiently (O Muhammad SAW) what they say, and glorify the praises of your Lord before the rising of the sun, and before its setting, and during some hours of the night, and at the ends of the day (an indication for the five compulsory congregational prayers), that you may become pleased with the reward which Allâh shall give you.”(Taha, 20/130)
Here, five daily salahs are indicated. What is meant by the phrase “glorify the praises” in the verse refers to the salah. It is the morning salah performed before the rising of the sun, the afternoon salah before the sun’s setting, during some hours of the night, the evening and night salahs, and at some times of the daylight is the noon salah.
Five daily salahs; morning, noon, afternoon, evening and night salahs are mentioned in various places of the Qur’an.Sometimes two of them, sometimes three of them, sometimes four of them are explained in different ways. As, our Prophet (s.a.w) has the right to interpret the Qur'an with both his words and his deeds, this right was given to him by Allah; his words and his deeds explain that there are five daily salahs to be performed.
Questions on Islam
- How many times of salah a day are stated in the Qur’an? If we perform only the fards of salah, will we have paid our debt?
- When was salah (daily prayer) rendered fard for the first time?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- When did the five daily prayers become fard?
- SALAT (PRAYER)-I
- What are the Times of the Five Daily Prescribed Prayers?
- Evening Salah
- What is the middle prayer that is stated in the 238th verse of the chapter al-Baqara: "Guard strictly your (habit of) prayers especially the middle prayer"?
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- How did people use to perform salah or worship before Mi’raj?