How many rakats are there in a Tarawih prayer according to Sunnah?
Submitted by on Fri, 27/08/2010 - 09:52
Dear Brother / Sister,
That hadith is true. The Prophet (pbuh) led the Taraweeh Prayer for eight rakats. The Taraweeh Prayer is a sunnah al-muakkada. The shortest is two rakats and the longest is twenty rakats. However, during the time of Umar b. Abdulaziz, the people of Medina observed the Taraweeh Prayer for thirty-six rakats. (Fathu’l Bari, v.4, p.220)
The number of rakats of the Taraweeh Prayer is based on the practice of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him). Umar led the Taraweeh Prayer in Masjid an-Nabawi for twenty rakats in the final times of his caliphate. After the period of Four Caliphs, no one objected to observing the Taraweeh prayer for twenty rakats. Scholars depend acted upon this hadith of the Prophet (pbuh) regarding this issue: “ After me, follow my sunnah and the sunnah of the caliphs in the right path” (Tirmidhi, Ilm, 16; Ibn Hanbal, IV, 126). Furthermore, it is reported that Abdullah b. Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) observed the Taraweeh Prayer for twenty rakats and afterwards he observed three rakats of Witr prayer in the month of Ramadan. When Imam Abu Hanifa was asked about Umar’s application as regards to this issue, he answered: Taraweeh Prayer is a sunnah al-muakkada with no doubt. Umar’s observing this prayer in community and for twenty rakats is not a personal preference and not an innovation, either. He did so depending on a juridical principle that he knew and on a will of Muhammad (pbuh). (at-Tahtawi, Hashiya, 334).
Questions on Islam
- What is the number of rak'ahs of Tarawih prayer; how many rak'ahs can be offered with one salutation?
- Is cupping/getting one’s blood drawn sunnah? If it is sunnah, is there a certain time to do it? Does cupping invalidate fasting and wudu?
- Is the incident narrated as "tafsir of honey" about Hz. Ali true?
- How are nails cut in accordance with the Sunnah? What are the manners of cutting nails?
- Will you give information about drinking water in three breaths?
- Umar bin Khattab (r.a.)
- Are there scientific researches showing that miswak is useful?
- The Prosperity of the day of Arafa
- What does “The promised land” that exists in Jewish belief mean? To whom was this land promised and how?
- What are the wisdoms behind the fact that the time of the Night of Power changes in Ramadan and that it is secret?