Can I perform the witr prayer that belongs to the night prayer as one rakat?
Submitted by on Sat, 08/05/2010 - 17:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
The prayer of witr consists of three rakats. "Witr is right. He who wants to pray witr as five rakats can pray it so. He who wants to pray witr as three rakats can pray it so. He who wants to pray witr as one rakat can pray it so. " (Nasai, Qiyamu'l-Layl, 40; Abu Dawud, Witr, 3; Ibn Majah, Iqamah, 123).
Hazrat Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said, "Hazrat Prophet prayed witr as three rakats and recited salam." (az-Zaylai, Nasbu'r-Raya, II, 118). Ibn Umar and Ibn Abbas said, "The prayer of witr is performed at the end of the night as one rakat (Muslim, Musafirun, 153; Abu Dawud, Witr, 3 ; Nasai, Qiyamu'l-Layl, 34).
According to Hanafis, the prayer of witr is three rakats and salam is necessary at the end of it. They give the hadith narrated by Hazrat Aisha as evidence for it. According to Malikis, the prayer of witr is one rakat. Before the witr, there exists two-rakat sunnah performed after the fard of the night prayer. Salam separates them. According to Hanbalis, the prayer of witr is one rakat, too. However, it can be performed as three or more rakats as well. According to Shafiis, the prayer of witr is at least one and at most eleven rakats. If one wants to pray more than one rakat, he should intend to pray two rakats and recite salam at the end of it. (al-Kasani, Badaiu's Sanai' Beirut, 1974, I, 270 ff.; az-Zuhayli, al-Fiqhu'l-Islami wa Adillatuhu, Damascus, 1984, I, 820).
Questions on Islam
- What are the sunna prayers (the prayers performed by our Prophet Muhammad-pbuh-, and performing of which are recommended but not obligatory)?
- What are the hadiths related to sunnah/nafilah prayers and their virtues?
- How many rakats are there in "Tarawih Prayer"?
- How many rakats are there in Witr prayer? (a necessary prayer performed between night prayer and dawn prayer) When should we perform the witr prayer?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- The Witr prayer
- SALAT (PRAYER)-II
- Is it necessary to perform the Qada (missed) prayer of Witr of which we do not offer in its prescribed time?
- How is Sajda as-Sahw performed and how should one keep his index finger during tashahhud according to sunnah?