How many rakats are there in "Tarawih Prayer"?
Submitted by on Fri, 04/09/2009 - 21:36
Dear Brother / Sister,
Performing it twenty-rakat is the better one. In the present time, some people insist that tarawih prayer is eight rakats basing their claim on a hadith reported by Hazrat Aisha. Nevertheless, Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) related that our Prophet performed twenty rakats of tarawih prayer and witr prayer (a necessary prayer performed between night prayer and dawn prayer) in congregation during the month of Ramadan. Moreover, concerning the issue, the companions of our prophet had unity of action. After all, the tarawih prayer is twenty rakats according to the Hanafi, Shafi'i and Hanbali, madhhabs (schools of law). In the Maliki school, there are two opinions about it: one is twenty rakats and the other is thirty-six rakats. However, the twenty-rakat view is more common. For this reason, the ones who are too old and sick should at least perform eight rakats if they can afford it, and yet Muslim people who are robust enough must perform the twenty-rakat prayer.
Questions on Islam
- Is the fast of spouses valid who have interourse at night and wake up in the morning in a state of Junub?
- How many rakats are there in a Tarawih prayer according to Sunnah?
- What is the number of rak'ahs of Tarawih prayer; how many rak'ahs can be offered with one salutation?
- What are the hadiths related to sunnah/nafilah prayers and their virtues?
- Tarawih Prayer
- How many sunnahs and fards are there in Jum'ah, Friday prayer?
- What are the sunna prayers (the prayers performed by our Prophet Muhammad-pbuh-, and performing of which are recommended but not obligatory)?
- When someone joins a congregational prayer in progress, what should he/she do and recite?
- How is a nawafil prayer is performed?
- SALAT (PRAYER)-II