Did the Prophet perform tarawih prayer as eight rak’ahs?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 12:16
Dear Brother / Sister,
Numbers such as eight, ten, sixteen, twenty, thirty-six, thirty-eight and forty are mentioned about the number of the rak’ahs of tarawih prayer. (Ayni, Umdah, XI, 126-127)
Acting upon the narration that the Prophet performed twenty-three rak’ahs including witr prayer (Ibn Abu Shayba, II, 164; Bayhaqi, II, 496) and the practice of the Companions, the majority of Hanafi, Shafii and Hanbali scholars adopt the view that tarawih prayer consists of twenty rak’ahs.
Acting upon the hadiths that the Messenger of Allah did not perform more than eleven rak’ahs including witr as nafilah prayers, scholars like Ibnul-Humam and Suyuti state that tarawih prayer consists of eight rak’ahs; Ibnul-Humam holds the view that the twelve rak’ahs performed after the eight rak’ahs are mustahab. (Fatḥul-Qadir, I, 468)
It is reported that Imam Malik defends that tarawih prayer consists of thirty-six rak’ahs but he also has a view that it consists of twenty rak’ahs. (Ibn Rushd, II, 309-310)
Among those narrations, the narration that it consists of twenty rak’ahs got stronger and a tradition based on it developed in the Islamic community. It is necessary to state the effect of the practice during the caliphate of Hz. Umar regarding the issue. Since the Companions did not oppose it, it is even stated that ijma of the Companions occurred that tarawih prayer consisted of twenty rak’ahs (Qasani, I, 288) or that an acceptance close to ijma occurred (Ibn Qudama, I, 799).
Questions on Islam
- What are the hadiths related to sunnah/nafilah prayers and their virtues?
- How is Tarawih Prayer Performed?
- Why do we need to read Subhanaka supplication when we stand up for the third rak’ah after the first sitting when we perform the sunnah prayers of the afternoon (asr) and night (isha) prayers?
- Are there any prayers that the Prophet (pbuh) performed after the morning prayer (fajr)? Is it permissible for a person who starts to perform awwabin prayer as four rak’ahs to perform it as two rak’ahs?
- Why do we read salli-barik prayers in the first sitting of the first sunnah of the afternoon and night salahs? In case of forgetting to read them, do we have to make sajda as-sahw?
- Are the last sunnahs of the noon, evening and night prayers, which are sunnah muakkadah, be performed as four rak’ahs? Is there a hadith about it?
- How many rakats are there in "Tarawih Prayer"?
- Is it permissible not to perform the sunnah prayers? We are sometimes very tired. They say the Prophet (pbuh) sometimes abandoned the sunnahs of the afternoon and night prayers. Is it true? How often did he abandon them?
- How many rakats are there in Witr prayer? (a necessary prayer performed between night prayer and dawn prayer) When should we perform the witr prayer?
- Is it permissible to perform the last sunnahs of the noon and night prayers as four rak’ahs?