Is fasting invalidated if a person keeps a clove (of carnation) in his mouth?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 11:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is makruh because it is not appropriate to put anything that has a flavor and scent into the mouth. If the flavor goes to the stomach, fasting is invalidated; if the flavor is felt only in the mouth, it is makruh but fasting is not invalidated. It can be compared to the chewing gum.
The following conditions are necessary for chewing gum not to invalidate fasting though it is makruh:
a. Sweetness, etc. must not go to the stomach from the chewing gum through the wetness of the mouth.
b. The chewing gum must be white chewing that has been chewed before.
c. The chewing gum must not be of the type that melts and dissolves in the mouth.
The chewing gums that do not fulfill the conditions above invalidate fasting. If chewing gum is used for treatment, the following is in question:
If a person who is fasting in Ramadan has a toothache and puts a clove into his mouth to alleviate the pain and the saliva that occurs goes down the throat, his fasting is not invalidated. If he swallows the clove, his fasting is invalidated but only qada (fasting for one day) becomes necessary. (Ibn Abidin, 2:98; Nimet-i İslâm, p. 466.)
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about the fasting, wudu and excuse of a person from whose gums blood and pus come?
- What are the things that invalidate fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Does eating deliberately while fasting necessitate kaffarah?
- How should the person who realizes when he wakes up that he is junub (ritually impure) continue with the fasting? Does getting blood drawn invalidate the fast?
- Does eating and drinking forgetfully invalidate fasting?
- Is the fast broken because of kissing or embracing?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Does Vomiting Invalidate the fast?
- Do treatment methods like sprays, eye-nose-ear drops, endoscopy, anesthesia, suppositories, enema, injections, serum, donating blood, dialysis, angio, biopsy, ointment, medicine and gynecological examination invalidate fasting?
- Does having a tooth pulled invalidate fasting?
- Is it permissible to make ghusl/have a bath while fasting? How should one sniff water into his nostrils and gargle?