Does a woman who starts to menstruate when she is fasting need to wait until the sunset by breaking her fast by drinking water only; or, can she eat?
Submitted by on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 15:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
The fasting of a woman who starts to menstruate when she is fasting is broken. Her fasting is invalidated whether she eats or does not eat after that; she cannot continue fasting until the sunset. She can eat and drink; she does not have to wait until the sunset. However, she had better eat and drink secretly so as not to show disrespect to those who are fasting.
She needs to perform fasting one day for this fasting that is invalidated.
Questions on Islam
- What are the things that invalidate fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Does eating deliberately while fasting necessitate kaffarah?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Is the fast broken because of kissing or embracing?
- Is the fasting of a person who does not intend for missed Ramadan fasting with his heart or tongue until imsak time but intends later until noon valid?
- Special File for Ramadan
- alcohol during Ramadan
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Will you give information about the fasting of a woman who is breastfeeding or pregnant?
- What is the way, decree and time for the intention (niyyah) of fasting? Is it permissible to make intention after imsak? Does the time of niyyah change according to fard or nafilah fasting?