Do I have to continue talking to someone who hurt me after forgiving him/her?
Submitted by on Mon, 04/01/2010 - 21:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
The state of resentment is considered valid in Islam, taking into consideration that there can be controversy on any issue between believers; however, it is stated that it must not last more than three days. (Bukhari, Adab, 57, 62; Muslim, Birr, 23, 25).
It is for ordinary daily issues. Moreover, there is a kind of resentment called “breaking relations off with someone” which is done against rebels and ones who insist on committing sins. There can be no resentment among Muslims who live in Islamic countries. If there is resentment, the following order of Allah’s must be applied: “The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear God, that ye may receive Mercy.” (al-Hujurat, 49/10).
The Prophet (pbuh) says:
“It is not permissible for a one to be crossed with his/her brother/sister more than three days. When two believers come across each other, they turn their faces away. However, the better of those two Muslims is the one who greets the other first.” (Tajrid-i Sarih Translation, XII, 145).
It means that you made peace with that person if you greet him/her or respond to his/her greeting when you come across each other. You do not need to continue talking at other times.
Please click on the links given below;
Questions on Islam
- What is the criterion in meeting (getting to know each other) before the marriage?
- Considering the command of the verse;`they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty.` Could you please give advices about protecting the eyes from harams?
- Finding my spouse instead of parents finding one
- If anything that we desire will come true in Paradise, will we not get bored after a while?
- What does Islam say about living in Seclusion (Uzlah)?
- Does Allah like aggressive people?
- What are the basic hygiene for Muslims?
- Could you give information about hatred and resentment among Muslims?
- Could you please give information about Resentment?
- Are there any places where being cross with somebody is permissible?