Could you please explain the verse; “O you who believe! Seek help (against all kinds of hardships and tribulations) through persevering patience and the Prayer; surely God is with the persevering and patient.” (the Qur’an, al-Baqarah, 2:153)
Submitted by on Tue, 24/08/2010 - 17:21
Dear Brother / Sister,
“O you who believe! Seek help (against all kinds of hardships and tribulations) through persevering patience and the Prayer; surely God is with the persevering and patient.” (the Qur’an, al-Baqarah, 2:153)
Patience spiritually matures, improves and strengthens man. The Prayer is the most exalted way of expressing of serving for Allah and surrendering Him and being thankful for the blessings He bestows and an indication of an active and proper life. In the particular verse, we are advised to make use of two main principles which defend people and make them strong in both spiritual and every day life against difficulties.
In the verse, it is not clearly stated in which situations we need to be patient. For this reason, maintaining patience in any situation which needs sustainability like observing prayers, restraining yourself from the forbidden things, resisting against any hostile acts, and bearing troubles and sorrows are included in this decree.
Patience is the product of self-sacrifice and determination that a person puts forth for a purpose and a strong perseverance and will; so patience is an attitude related to a person’s own personality. The Prayer is his turning to Allah with his body, his word and his heart in brief with his whole presence; in this case, the prayer is related to a believer’s attitude towards Allah. Thus, a person who strengthens his personality with the help of patience and who keeps in touch with Allah with the help of the Prayer fulfils the psychological conditions of success. ( see. Diyanet, Kur’an Yolu, the interpretation of the 153rd verse from the surah al-Baqarah in the Qur’an)
Questions on Islam
- How can we show patience against the issue of which we do not know the hidden side?
- Will you explain the following verse: "Seek help with patient perseverance and prayer" (al-Baqara, 2/153)?
- Will you explain the verse "Seek help with patient perseverance and prayer" (al-Baqara, 2/153)?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- What would you advise me to do in order to show patience in the face of illnesses and misfortunes?
- Are there any supplications (duas) to be patient? Will you give information about the virtue of patience?
- What should a sick person do while fasting in Ramadan?
- Do concepts Jihad and War mean the same? If not, what are their differences?
- What is the wisdom and benefit of fasting?