Can a Muslim pray to Allah in a church?
Submitted by on Wed, 29/08/2018 - 10:27
Dear Brother / Sister,
A Muslim can pray to Allah anywhere including a church. However, it is not appropriate for a Muslim to go to church, and pray and worship there like Christians. It is haram. It is forbidden for Muslims to resemble even the traditions of non-Muslims; it is definitely a bigger sin to enter a temple of another religion and to worship like them. Something like that can cause a person to forget his religion and to adopt the other religion.
The Prophet (pbuh) states the following:
“He who tries to resemble a nation is one of them.” (Abu Dawud-Kitabul-Libas, hadith no 3512)
One can go to a church for two reasons:
1. Those who go to church because they are Christians.
2. Those who go to a church to visit it and for touristic purposes.
After this classification, let us explain the decree on going to church:
a. A person in the first group is a Christian since he accepts himself as a Christian; he is regarded as a non-Muslim; that is, he is not a Muslim.
b. A person in the first group goes there in order to see how the church was arranged and built. When a Christian goes to a mosque to visit it, he does not become a Muslim; similarly, if a Muslim goes to a church to visit it does not become a Christian.
Questions on Islam
- What are the drawbacks to worshipping in a church for a Muslim in Noel celebrations?
- Can prayers (salat) be performed in a church?
- Second: The answer to the following question of the people of innovation: In Europe, revolutionists and philosophers made progress by making a revolution in Catholicism; is a religious revolution like that not possible in Islam?”
- Marry with a non-Muslim at Chuch
- Young Muslim man guides Lithuania girl to Islam
- Will you give information about the Bible of Barnabas?
- Is it all right to call the People of the Book-the Jews and the Christians- kafir (unbeliever)? How should our relations with the People of the Book be?
- What is the apparent reason for and wisdom behind the fact that the Prophet gave glad tidings for the conquest of Istanbul, not another city?
- Can the dead body of a Muslim be buried in a Christian cemetery?
- How should our relations with non-Muslims be?