Will you please give information about the number of Prophets?
The first prophet is Hazrat Adam (pbuh) and the last prophet is Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh). There were many prophets between them. Only some of the names and stories of them are mentioned in the Quran. (an-Nisa, 164; al-Mu’min, 78)
Our Prophet stated in a narration that the number of the prophets that came before him was 124 thousand and in another narration 224 thousand. (See: Taftazani, Sharhu’l-Aqaid, 169. See also: Muhittin Bahçeci, Âyet ve Hadîslerle Peygamberlik ve Peygamberler, 63-64)
The number of the prophets mentioned in the Quran is 25. It is controversial whether three people are prophets or saints. Although there are so many prophets, only very few of them are known by people. Imam Rabbani explains the reason as follows: There were many prophets in India. However, some of them did not have any ummah. Or, very few people believed them and they did not become well-known. Or, they were not called prophets. (Mektubat, 361)
The explanation of Imam Rabbani above clarifies the reason why many prophets were forgotten.
- Number of Prophets
- What is prophethood? Were prophets sent in every period?
- Is it a sign that the Quran was copied from the Torah as it mentions the names of the prophets sent in the Middle East?
- Who are the people that are mentioned as people from those of old and those of later times in the 13 and 14th verses of the chapter al-Waqia?
- Attributes necessary to be present in Prophets
- How did the polytheists despise the Muslims when the Persians defeated the Byzantines, which caused the chapter of ar-Rum to be sent down? How did Hz. Abu Bakr and Ubayy ibn Khalaf place a bet upon this chapter?
- What are the Wisdoms Behind the Stories of Prophets?
- Will you give some information about the importance Islam gives to science and technology? Is the cause of the ignorance and underdevelopment of the Islamic world today the religion of Islam?
- What does Ahl al-Kitab (the People of the Book) Mean?
- If Islam is the true religion, why are there so many people who deny it and who are members of other religions in the world? Who prevents people from being Muslims?