What does reviving after death (resurrection) mean?
After the Doomsday strikes, everything will be destroyed, there will be no living being left; only Allah will exist. After that, non-existence will continue for a while, Allah will order Israfel to blow the Trumpet for a second time. After the Trumpet is blown, He will create the bodies of human beings again, and send the spirits to those bodies; thus, He will revive the dead.
All heavenly religions have a common belief regarding that belief.
The following is stated in the Quran:
“And he makes comparisons for us, and forgets his own (Origin and) Creation: He says "Who can give life to (dry) bones and decomposed ones (at that)?" Say "He will give them life Who created them for the first time! For He is well-versed in every kind of creation!―.” (Ya-Seen, 78-79).
That verse states that reviving is possible and even easier than creation.
The following verses confirm the same meaning:
“Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new Creation?”
“They say: "What! when we are reduced to bones and dust, should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?" Say: "(Nay!) be ye stones or iron, Or created matter which, in your minds, is hardest (to be raised up)--(yet shall ye be raised up)!" Then will they say: "Who will cause us to return?" Say: "He Who created you first!...’” (al-Isra, 49-51).
“They swear their strongest oaths by Allah, that Allah will not raise up those who die: Nay but it is a promise (binding) on Him in truth: but most among mankind realize it not..” (an-Nahl, 38)
“It is He who sendeth the winds like heralds of glad tidings going before His Mercy: when they have carried the heavy-laden clouds, We drive them to a land that is dead, make rain to descend thereon, and produce every kind of harvest therewith: thus shall We raise up the dead: perchance ye may remember.” (al-A’raf, 57).
The verses that mention resurrection in the Quran always emphasize this: “God Almighty, who can create things out of nothing, who can create the immense universe and who can greenify the barren dead soil, can doubtlessly revive the human body that dies and turns to soil and send his spirit back to his body.”
* * *
• We know that when man dies, his body decays and becomes part of the soil. Then, how will his body be revived?
Our Prophet made the following explanation regarding the issue:
“The whole body of the son of Adam will be eaten by dust except ajb adh-dhanab (coccyx) for he was created from it and his body will be reconstructed starting with it”
According to the statement of the hadith, there is a basic particle called ajb adh-dhanab that does not decay or disappear in every man. It is like a nucleus or seed. The human body will be constructed based on it just like a tree being constructed based on a seed. The same thing is valid in the creation and revival of man. The spirit will be returned to the human body that is constructed based on ajb adh-dhanab; thus, that man will be revived and re-created with his spirit and body. Badiuzzaman stated the issue as follows:
“Some particles called ajb adh-dhanab are like the seeds of the plants; they are the seeds of man, and the human body is reconstructed based on it during the resurrection.” (İşârâtü’l-İ’câz).
- Where and how will resurrection take place for the people who die in outer space?
- What is the wisdom behind the universe’s remaining as it is after Doomsday strikes?
- What does ba’th (resurrection)? How will resurrection after death be?
- What are the evidences related to the existence of the hereafter?
- Second Point of Eloquence: The Qur'an depicts Divine work of arts and summarizes them with Divine names.
- Question 11: A friend of mine opposed the information “man was created from a sperm drop”in the Quran. He said it was something that could be known by anybody in the era when the Quran was sent down
- What are the Stages of Life in the Hereafter?
- The Twelfth Proof: The Proof of Giving Life
- How is belief in the hereafter dealt with in the Quran?
- The new video of "Belief in the Hereafter" is now available!