The Fourth: Knowledge and the thing known; the definition of pre-eternity.
• The Fourth: Divine Determining is a sort of knowledge. Knowledge is dependent on the thing known. That is, it knows it as it is. The thing known is not dependent on knowledge. That is, the principles of knowledge are not fundamental so that the knowledge directs the thing known with regard to its external existence. Because the essence of the thing known and its external existence look to will and are based on power. Also, pre-eternity is not the tip of a chain reaching into the past which should be considered the end point in the existence of things and a source of compulsion. Rather, pre-eternity holds the past, the present, and the future all at once, looking at them from above like a mirror. In which case, it is not right to imagine an end to past time which stretches back within the sphere of contingency and call it pre-eternity, and to suppose that things enter that knowledge of pre-eternity in sequence, and that oneself is outside it; to reason thus is not right. Consider the following example in order to explain this mystery:
Suppose there is a mirror in your hand and the area to your right is the past and the area to your left, the future; the mirror only holds what is opposite it. Then with a movement it holds both sides, but it cannot hold all of it. However low the mirror is held, less will appear in it, and the higher it rises, the area it encompasses expands, until it can hold both sides in their entirety simultaneously. Whatever occurs in the areas reflected in the mirror in this position cannot be said to precede or follow one another, or to conform to or oppose one another. Divine Determining is part of pre-eternal knowledge, and in the words of the Hadith, pre-eternal knowledge is “at an elevated station which from its lofty view-point encompasses everything that has been and will be from pre-eternity to post-eternity.” We and our reasoning cannot be outside of it so we can be like a mirror to the area of the past.
Please click on the following link to continue reading;
- The Third: Divine knowledge, Divine Determining and the power choice.
- What is time and pre-eternity?
- What is pre-eternity? Will you please explain the concepts of time and pre-eternity through examples?
- Third Topic: Divine Determining in the realm of living creatures; The Clear Book and The Clear Record; Self-evident Divine Determining and Theoretical Divine Determining; freedom and Divine Determining.
- Conclusion: Five paragraphs that express Allah’s oneness and absolute sovereignty against the arrogance of the soul and show that the true happiness exists in surrendering to Allah.
- Fourth Flash: Stamps that show the existence and oneness of Allah on the deed of "giving life".
- What is belief in Qada and Qadar?
- What is belief in Qada and Qadar (destiny)?
- Second Topic: Seven aspects concerning the compatibility of Divine Determining with the power of choice.
- 6. Destiny