Will you give information about men’s haircut and beard?
Submitted by on Tue, 20/11/2018 - 09:41
Dear Brother / Sister,
All kinds of haircut are permissible unless they are contrary to the customs of the community. However, to be in accordance with the Sunnah is a different issue. For, being permissible and being a sunnah are different things. If something is sunnah, it is definitely permissible. However, "not all permissible things are sunnah."
It is permissible to have a goatee but it is not sunnah; that is, it is not the practice of the Prophet (pbuh).
When we view the life of the Prophet (pbuh), we see that he prohibited Muslims from resembling others even related to some minor deeds. (Abu Dawud, Libas 4; Musnad, II/50; Tirmidhi, Isti'dhan 7)
The fact that "a person who resembles others with his appearance will resemble them with his heart in the course of time" which may have been said acting upon the spirit of those hadiths, is accepted by the science of psychology today. Therefore, it is not appropriate to welcome such a beard style. However, if a person grows such a beard due to a valid reason, it is not criticized. Nevertheless, this valid reason can be determined by people who are experts in fiqh.
Questions on Islam
- What is the judgment for growing a goatee? Is it haram to grow it due to a personal choice?
- Is the beard fard or just a Sunnah?
- How did the Prophet take care of his beard? How wide and long should be a beard of Sunnah?
- What do permissible, sin and haram mean? What are the differences among them? Will you explain them with examples?
- About Growing Beards
- What is the judgment for shaving or growing a beard? What are the judgments for beard and mustache based on evidence? What is the type of beard in compliance with the Sunnah?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim man to keep a beard stylishly, without any religious intent or purpose?
- What is the decree on shaking hands in sunnah and how is it done? Which hand is used and how are hands shaken?
- Is it haram to shave the beard?