Will you give information about men’s haircut and beard?
Submitted by on Tue, 20/11/2018 - 09:41
Dear Brother / Sister,
All kinds of haircut are permissible unless they are contrary to the customs of the community. However, to be in accordance with the Sunnah is a different issue. For, being permissible and being a sunnah are different things. If something is sunnah, it is definitely permissible. However, "not all permissible things are sunnah."
It is permissible to have a goatee but it is not sunnah; that is, it is not the practice of the Prophet (pbuh).
When we view the life of the Prophet (pbuh), we see that he prohibited Muslims from resembling others even related to some minor deeds. (Abu Dawud, Libas 4; Musnad, II/50; Tirmidhi, Isti'dhan 7)
The fact that "a person who resembles others with his appearance will resemble them with his heart in the course of time" which may have been said acting upon the spirit of those hadiths, is accepted by the science of psychology today. Therefore, it is not appropriate to welcome such a beard style. However, if a person grows such a beard due to a valid reason, it is not criticized. Nevertheless, this valid reason can be determined by people who are experts in fiqh.
Questions on Islam
- What is the judgment for growing a goatee? Is it haram to grow it due to a personal choice?
- Is laser epilation permissible?
- What is sunnah? What do Mutazila, Kharijite, Shiite and Orientalists say about sunnah? How did the ummah answer their doubts about hadiths?
- Life in the Grave is True
- How did the Prophet see the states of the people of Paradise and Hell on the night of Miraj (Ascension) though people were not in Paradise and Hell (Doomsday did not strike and gathering place was not established) yet?
- Will you please explain the verses that order us to obey the messenger of Allah?
- Will you give information about Allah’s establishing on the throne (arsh)?
- Will you give evidences from verses of the Quran and hadiths about the issue of seeing Allah in the hereafter?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT JINN