What do permissible, sin and haram mean? What are the differences among them? Will you explain them with examples?
Submitted by on Mon, 29/10/2018 - 09:40
Dear Brother / Sister,
The words sin and haram can be used in the same sense. Sin is the result of haram. That is, a person who commits a haram (religiously forbidden/illegitimate) deed obtains a sin. A person who does a halal (religiously legitimate/lawful) deed obtains a thawab.
Permissible with karahah is used for something makruh (abominable).
Jaiz (permissible) means halal and "not permissible" means haram.
For instance, it is permissible to drink fruit juice but it is not permissible to drink beer.
What does "not permissible" mean? Does it mean haram, makruh or something else? Is it binding? What happens if I do something that is not permissible?
Things that are not halal and mubah are called "not permissible". Harams are meant by this phrase as well as the things that are originally halal but are haram based on a decree. For instance, shopping is halal but it is not halal for a person for whom Friday prayer is fard to do shopping at the time Friday prayer.
To regard something permissible is used in the sense of approving and to be permissible is used in the sense of not being objectionable and not being forbidden by the religion. The opposite of it, the phrase "not permissible" means not to be permissible, that is, being objectionable, not being appropriate or being forbidden by the religion.
The phrase "not permissible" used about eating or using something means it is haram and not halal. For instance, the sentence "it is not permissible to eat pork and to drink alcohol" means it is haram, not halal.
The phrase "permissible with karahah" is used for something that is makruh.
Questions on Islam
- What does "it is not permissible (la yajuzu)" mean? Is it haram, makruh or something else? How binding is it? What happens if I do something that is not permissible?
- Is it haram to insist on committing makruh tanzihi?
- Is it a sin to sell something to somebody that will use it in a bad way?
- What is Makruh?
- What does Makruh mean? What is the decree on Makruh? How many kinds of Makruhs are there?
- Is it permissible to close the eyes during the prayer?
- Do zarurahs (necessities) render harams halal? Is it possible in Islam to abandon fards for harams or to commit a haram deed for something fard? If yes, when?
- What does karahah mean?
- Will you give information about the Imams of the four madhhabs?
- What are the hadiths and views of Islamic scholars about listening to musical instruments?