What does "it is not permissible (la yajuzu)" mean? Is it haram, makruh or something else? How binding is it? What happens if I do something that is not permissible?
Submitted by on Fri, 04/08/2017 - 16:11
Dear Brother / Sister,
The phrase "it is not permissible (la yajuzu)" is used for the things that are not halal and mubah. Haram things are meant with this expression; it is also used for things that are originally halal but become haram under certain circumstances. For instance, shopping is halal but it is not halal at the time of Friday prayer for somebody for whom Friday prayer is fard.
To regard as permissible means to approve; to be permissible means not to be objectionable, not to be forbidden by the religion. The phrase, which is the opposite of it, means not to be halal, that is, to be objectionable, not to be appropriate, or to be religiously prohibited.
The phrase "is not permissible" used about eating or using something means haram or halal. For instance, when it is said, "it is not permissible to eat pork, to drink alcohol", it means it is haram and not halal.
"It is abominably (makruh) permissible" is also used for something makruh.
Questions on Islam
- What do permissible, sin and haram mean? What are the differences among them? Will you explain them with examples?
- Is it haram to insist on committing makruh tanzihi?
- What is Makruh?
- Do zarurahs (necessities) render harams halal? Is it possible in Islam to abandon fards for harams or to commit a haram deed for something fard? If yes, when?
- What are the hadiths and views of Islamic scholars about listening to musical instruments?
- Will you explain the hadith about avoiding doubtful things? " Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them.
- Is using a cadaver permissible? Is it religiously appropriate for the students studying and academicians teaching at the faculty of medicine to work on cadavers?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers by pulling up one's trousers' legs or rolling up the sleeves of his shirt?
- Will you give information about Mut'a marriage? Is it permissible?
- What are the decrees of our religion about treatment? Are there any places where it is permissible to be treated with haram things?