What is the judgment for growing a goatee? Is it haram to grow it due to a personal choice?
Submitted by on Mon, 18/10/2010 - 13:44
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is permissible to grow a goatee. However, it is not a sunnah. That is, it is not an application of the Prophet.
When we examine the life of our Prophet, we see that he prohibited Muslims from resembling others even in the small attitudes and acts. (Abu Dawud, Libas 4; Musnad, II/50; Tirmidhi, Isti'dhan 7) Maybe, the truth that is expressed as “a person who starts to resemble someone or some people in terms of his appearance will resemble them in terms of his heart” based on the meaning of those hadiths is accepted by the science of psychology today. Therefore, it is not appropriate to tolerate that kind of beard. However, if a person grows a goatee due to a reasonable reason, nobody should criticize it. However, that reason can be determined by people who are expert in fiqh.
Questions on Islam
- What is the judgment for shaving or growing a beard? What are the judgments for beard and mustache based on evidence? What is the type of beard in compliance with the Sunnah?
- What are the criteria for social intercourse with non-Muslims? Is it permissible to be business partners with them?
- Is it permissible to have a test tube baby? What are the conditions of having a test tube baby? Are the methods of determining the gender of the baby permissible?
- The Prayers are fine, but to perform them every single day five times is a lot. Since they never end, it becomes wearying. What should we do?
- Why is Interest Forbidden?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- Could you please define the characteristics of the interpretation methodology of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? What are the characteristics, content and activities on the subject of interpretation of His ummah (Community of Muslim Believers)?
- Will you give information about men’s haircut and beard?
- Can a woman and her children eat from the haram earnings of the husband and the father?
- Is playing chess and backgammon religiously permissible?