Is time travel possible?
Submitted by on Sat, 01/01/2011 - 10:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is nothing like that mentioned clearly in verses and hadiths. They are theories and products of science-fiction imagination.
It is possible to see many examples of saints who have improved in the spiritual field traveling in the past and in the future during their spiritual journeys.
Expansion of time is a term which means living long in a short time.
Transcending space is a term which means surpassing space and appearing in different places at the same time.
The area of the earth expands with mountains. Small bubbles increase the area of the stomach. Lungs measure two hundred and fifty square meters when they are opened. They are examples of the fact that Allah has created area within area.
Therefore, God Almighty can also create time within time. As a matter of fact, He did: Dreams, expansion of time and miraj (the ascension of Prophet Muhammad)
We are restricted to what we experience and see. We have become slaves to familiarities and habits. We no longer wonder at the fact that sunlight reaches our world covering about one hundred and fifty million kilometers in eight minutes. As a matter of fact, this is a wonderful miracle of power.
When we say, “God Almighty may show this miracle in his beloved slave whose soul has surpassed his body”, objections arise instantly. “Why? Because we are bound by our sight and have never witnessed such a thing.” If we could witness this incident every day, then it would also be hidden before our sight; we would start not to wonder at it, either.
“In a dream, in a period of an hour, you see a year pass and many deeds are performed. If you were to read the Qur’an in the place of these deeds in that hour, you would finish reading the whole Quran a couple of times. This state takes place for the saints of Allah while they are awake. The issue is related to the capacity of the soul. In fact, the soul is not restricted to time. The deeds of saints of Allah whose souls are superior to their bodies take place with the speed of soul.” (Mesnevi-i Nuriye)
Today, we take it for granted that voices and visions instantly reach many places at the same time via television. However, we cannot grasp it that the throne of Balqis was instantly brought to the presence of Sulayman (pbuh). If we succeed in transferring things like voices and visions one day, we will then find it only natural and reasonable too, and begin not to wonder at it, either.
In the text above, there was an expression we are not acquainted with: the speed of soul. The speed of soul can be compared to neither light nor voice. Imagination is a servant of the soul. It can reach paradises at an instant. Reason is the tool of soul for understanding. Man can rise to stars and contemplate them with this tool.
When the soul surpasses the body, it becomes very easy to be present in different places at the same time. In dreams, our soul also surpasses our body to some extent. It covers great distances at a moment; we can easily go to the past and the future. We can talk with both our grandfathers and grandchildren.
Why should a soul, which surpasses angels by developing spiritually, not do the thing they easily do? Why should it not be present in different places at the same time?
Questions on Islam
- Isra and the Miracle of Miraj (Ascension)
- Some questions that can come to the mind about the miracle of Miraj (Ascension): Why is the great Ascension peculiar to Hz. Muhammad (pbuh)? A plane can go up to one or two kilometers with a lot of difficulties.
- Twenty-Fourth Letter: It explains an important secret of the obscure secrets of the universe, and wisdoms behind the manifestations the divine names of ar-Rahim (All- Compassionate) al-Karim (The Generous) and Wadud (Loving). It consists of two stations.
- Second Principle: The reality of the Ascension.
- Gleams: Flowers from the Seeds of Reality. A short ‘Mathnawi’ and collection on the subject of belief for the Risale-i Nur students.
- Can you explain the methods of overcoming excitement and of becoming successful? (Social Phobia)
- Is it possible that the qualities given to the human being can be a proof of that he should be resurrected and of that, the eternal life exists?
- Seventh Matter which is the Seventh Booklet: It explains an important secret about Risale-i Nur students, the seven divine aids, in the following verse: “Say: ‘In the bounty of Allah. And in His Mercy,- in that let them rejoice’:... (Yunus, 10:58.)
- Third Stopping-Place: The point of views of the people of misguidance and the people of guidance on the worldly life.
- How can the reality of being in many places at the same time be understood? Will you give information about luminosity, which is a dimension of existence?