Submitted by on Mon, 22/09/2008 - 00:22
Dear Brother / Sister,
The verses that prohibit interest (usury) are given below;
The Heifer (Al-Baqarah) (2nd sura of the Quran)
2/275. Those who devour usury will not stand except as stand one whom the Satan by his touch Hath driven to madness. That is because they say: "Trade is like usury," but Allah hath permitted trade and forbidden usury. Those who after receiving direction from their Lord, desist, shall be pardoned for the past; their case is for Allah (to judge); but those who repeat (the offense) are companions of the Fire: They will abide therein (for ever).
2/276. Allah will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity: For He loveth not any ungrateful and wicked.
2/278. O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and give up what remains of your demand for usury, if ye are indeed believers.
The Family Of Ìmrán (Al-Ìmrán) (3rd sura of the Quran)
130. O ye who believe! Devour not usury, doubled and multiplied; but fear Allah. that ye may (really) prosper.
Women (An-Nisáa) (4th sura of the Quran)
160. For the iniquity of the Jews We made unlawful for them certain (foods) good and wholesome which had been lawful for them;- in that they hindered many from Allah's Way;-
161. That they took usury, though they were forbidden; and that they devoured men's substance wrongfully;- We have prepared for those among them who reject faith a grievous punishment.
The Romans (Ar-Rüm) (30th sura of the Quran)
39. That which you give in usury for increase through the property of (other) people, will have no increase with Allah: but that which you give for charity, seeking the Countenance of Allah, (will increase): it is these who will get a recompense multiplied.
Questions on Islam
- Those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger
- The verses about usury (interest)
- Those who touch the dust of usury
- We know that interest was forbidden by stages just like alcohol. Could you explain those stages?
- A Sin that Destroys People
- 2. Surah Al-Baqara (267- 286)
- Which type of Riba is Al-riba?
- People whose bellies are like houses and full of snakes
- What are the hadiths of the Prophet about commerce and commercial ethics?
- 4. Surah An-Nisa (122- 176)