Some people say it is forbidden to wear gold ornaments on foot in Islam. Is there any hadith confirming that?
Submitted by on Sun, 16/08/2009 - 20:36
Dear Brother / Sister,
We could not reach any information about the question in the sources. However, there is a weak hadith narration which expresses negative attitude about “Anklet” which is worn on the ankles and makes a sound while walking. (see Kanz al-Ummal, h. no: 45071).
It is not permissible for men to wear gold adornment –neither on their hands nor on their feet- on any parts of their bodies. Women are permitted to wear gold jewelry and silk made clothes. (see W.Zuhayli, al- Fiqh al-Islam, 3/647).
In the hadith related by Ahmad b. Hanbal, Nasai and Tirmidhi and having the meaning “Gold and silk are rendered halal (permissible) for the women of my ummah (community) but are rendered haram (forbidden) for the men of my ummah” (Nayl al-Awtar, 1/386), that issue is stated clearly.
However, according to the verse “…they should not display their ornaments..” (Qur’an, The Light (Al-Nour); 31 (24: 31)), it is haram for women to display their ornaments to men with whom they are religiously allowed to marry.
Questions on Islam
- Can you give information about adoption? Does the child who is adopted become a stranger to the adoptive mother when he grows up? And what is the religious decree to remove that state?
- After sexual intercourse, such stuff over the bed like bedspread, case, pillow etc. get unclean; is it necessary to change them?
- Is it permissible for a man to wear a platinum ring?
- Does the Prophet not have the authority to render something that is not clearly stated in the Quran haram?
- What is the decree for men to wear ear rings, necklaces, bracelets etc made of silver or other kinds of material except for gold?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? To what extent can hands and feet be uncovered? How should the head be covered?
- Can there not be fashion of tasattur (hijab)? Can Fashion be Associated with Hijab?
- What is Taharah (Cleanliness)?
- Doesnt women face draw more attention comparing to their hair? Why is hair covered up but not face?