Is the prayer invalidated when three movements are made with one hand while praying? What is the limit of three movements in prayer?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 16:56
Dear Brother / Sister,
The following rules are given in the books of Furu' for amal kathir (major action) and amal qalil (insignificant action):
1) Amal Kathir is the action of the praying person that makes the onlooker think surely that he/she is not praying; and the action that causes the onlooker doubt whether he is praying or not is amal qalil.
2) The habitual action which is done with two hands is amal kathir. The decree does not change when this is done with one hand: Such as wrapping turban cloth over skullcap and belting. The habitual action which is performed with one hand is amal qalil; such as wearing and removing the skullcap. However, if this repeated thrice, then it will be amal kathir.
3) The successive actions which are done three times is amal kathir; if not it is amal qalil.
4) Amal kathir is the action which is done deliberately.
5) The situation is left to the opinion of the person who is praying. What he considers to be much is amal kathir and what he considers to be little is amal qalil. (Ibn Abidin Trans., Istanbul 1982, II, 537,538)
Questions on Islam
- What is amal kathir in prayer? I know that changing the place of things in prayer invalidates prayer. Is prayer invalidated if a person changes the place of things involuntarily?
- Will you please give information about amal kathir (major action) / things that invalidate the prayer?
- While a woman prays, to what extent of uncovering her arms and wrists invalidate the prayer?
- Can a person turn off his mobile phone if it starts to ring while performing a prayer? Is his prayer invalidated if he does so?
- Is it permissible to look at a paper and read verses or supplications while performing a fard prayer?
- Things that invalidate prayer
- Makruhs of prayer
- Is the prayer of a man invalidated if his waist is opened in prayer? I am very tall; therefore, my waist is opened in prayer no matter what I wear. Is it regarded as an excuse?
- Is it Sunnah to wear a Turban while praying, Is it obligatory for Muslims to wear Turbans and skullcaps? What did prophet Muhammad (PBUH) say about wearing a turban while praying?
- Does a quick prostration invalidate the prayer?