prayer behind other sects
Submitted by on Fri, 22/08/2008 - 23:19
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to Sunni School scholars two different decrees are claimed about a person who obeys a school imam who is not that person’s main school imam indeed.
According to Hanefi and Shafi’i scholars belief of the congregation is the main base in the prayer. That is to say, the prayer of imam must be sound according to the belief of a person who participate the praying congregation. With respect to the owners of this comment; prayer of a Shafi’i follower is not sound when he performs his prayer under the imamate of a man who touched his hand to a woman or prayer of a Hanefi School follower is not sound when he performs his prayer with a Shafi’i imam whose body has bled. (el-Fıkhu’l-İslamî, II/180-181, 207; Ibn Abidîn,I/563).
As for the decree of Malikhi and Khanbeli School scholars the belief of the imam is the main base. Referring to this consideration, does there exist nothing which harms the prayer in reference to the school of imam, this prayer is sound even if an error exists according to the schools of congregation. Considering this comment the prayer of a Shafi’i follower is sound under the imamate of a man who touched his hand to a woman or prayer of a Hanefi School follower is sound when he performs his prayer with a Shafi’i imam whose body has bled. (el-Fıkhu’l-İslamî, II/180-181).
Thus, according to the decree which Ibn Âbidin, one of the Hanefi School scholars, preferred as long as fulfilling the obligations of prayer there is no inconvenience in the dependence of a Hanefi follower to a Shafi’i follower in the prayer or vice versa. As a matter of fact, although many people among the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) or the descendant following the companions were interpreters of Islamic law and had different opinions, they used to perform their prayers in the dependence of same imam. (Ibn Abidîn, I/564).
The indicated considerations above are valid for Shi’a School too. In other words, they can perform their prayers in the dependence of a Sunni imam.
Questions on Islam
- Why is the wudu of a husband or wife invalidated in Shafiis when they touch each other though they are husband and wife?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? How should a woman dress according to the code of tasattur in Hanafi madhab?
- Do we need to follow sects (madhabs)? Why? Are there any hadith or verse about this in Quran?
- What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? To what extent can hands and feet be uncovered? How should the head be covered?
- What does Islam say about "Dental Health"?
- Surah in 3rd and 4th Rakat
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Is it obligatory to recite Surah Al-Fatiha in each rakat behind the Imam?