Why is the wudu of a husband or wife invalidated in Shafiis when they touch each other though they are husband and wife?
Submitted by on Thu, 31/03/2016 - 20:12
Dear Brother / Sister,
This is a controversial issue among madhhabs.
One of the issues used by the enemies of Islam is the issue of “madhhab”. On the one hand, they try to show the issue of madhhab as an element of disagreement; on the other hand, they want to deceive Muslims through demagogy. When you study the issue of madhhab a bit, you will see that madhhabs originated from a need and that they were never an element of disagreement.
In the religion of Islam, which consists of two parts called creed and deed, madhhabs deal with practical issues. The appearance of more than one madhhab originated from the fact that the imams of madhhabs understood some theoretical principles differently. (Nursi, Mektubat, p.449)
For instance, while the Prophet (pbuh) was performing a prayer, a stone pricked his forehead and his forehead bled. Hz. Aisha removed the stone from his forehead and threw it away. The Prophet (pbuh) made wudu again and performed the prayer. Since the Prophet made wudu again, his wudu must have been invalidated.
Abu Hanifa, the imam of Hanafi madhhab, and Imam Shafii, the imam of Shafii madhhab analyzed this incident when they dealt with the issue of what invalidates wudu.
Abu Hanifa reached the following conclusion: “The Prophet (pbuh) made wudu again because the stone caused bleeding.” Imam Shafii explained the cause of the invalidation of wudu as Hz. Aisha's touching the forehead of the Prophet (pbuh). Thus, according to Hanafis, a little amount of bleeding invalidates wudu but according to Shafiis, when a woman touches a man, wudu is invalidated.
As it is seen, both decrees are true and they are based on a true reason.
Questions on Islam
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- What are the things that do not invalidate and break wudu?
- What is the point of the difference of sects in Islam?
- What is the wisdom of the difference of sects in Islam?
- Does sleeping without leaning on anything invalidate wudu? Are there hadiths regarding the issue?
- I make wudu, wear makeup and perform prayers after that. Is it permissible? Is it permissible to perform prayers after wearing perfume?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- Is the wudu (ablution) invalidated when a man touches the skin of a woman or when a woman touches the skin of a man?
- Which Islamic sect (madhhab) is better to follow? Which one is superior to others?