Is a man who gives hope to another person that he will marry her and then gives up this thought regarded to have violated her rights?
Submitted by on Thu, 31/03/2016 - 18:56
Dear Brother / Sister,
A man who starts a friendship with a girl or woman and says he will marry her with the intention of playing the field is regarded to have violated her rights. However, if he starts a friendship seriously but gives up the idea in the course of time due to some incidents, he is excused. For, getting married and then divorcing is worse than breaking up before marriage.
However, the party that gives up the thought of marriage needs to ask for forgiveness from the other party. We do not advice you to curse or damn him. Things like that may happen in life.
It is not a sin to fall in love. It is stated in a hadith that the one who falls in love with a woman and hides this feeling and who dies without telling this to anyone is a martyr. (see Kanzu’lummal, h. No: 7000; to get more information about the hadith, see Ajluni, 2/263;). Sahawi pointed out that the hadith is sahih (sound) (see al-Maqasidu’l-Hasana, 1(220). Therefore, it is not up to one to decide whether to fall in love or not. If you cannot help thinking of her/him, it is permitted for you to remember her/him.
However, it is wrong to love somebody to such a degree as to sacrifice the sacred things as if worshipping. If you have the opportunity to get married and to take him/her as a spouse within the boundaries of the religious criteria, we recommend you to do that right away. If this is not possible, thinking that it is not for your goodness, then, you should ask for a good spouse from Allah.
We cannot know what is good for us. There is a possibility that we will wish something which at first we absolutely wanted to take place had not ever happened. Therefore, it is best to ask for what is good for us and to wait with patience if it does not happen.
Mary’s mother had asked for a son. Allah gave her a girl. She was very upset about it. If we asked her now which one she would rather have: tens of boys or just one Mary. Of course, she would choose one Mary. For, her daughter became a prophet’s mother.
Questions on Islam
- Is falling in love considered a sin in Islam? Is it a sin to have this feeling only inside without telling anyone?
- Is it a sin to fall in love?
- Do i have to get married in jannah? Can i be single in jannah? will i get tired of being lonely in jannah?
- Can having little income be regarded as a barrier to marriage?
- To those who are thinking of getting married
- Who has the right of divorce?
- Marriage issue
- How will marriage be in Paradise?
- How to Resolve Family Conflicts?
- What does it mean to love and to hate for the sake of Allah? What should one understand from it? How should one love and hate for the sake of Allah?