Is it a sin to fall in love?
Submitted by on Sat, 05/06/2010 - 12:45
Dear Brother / Sister,
Falling in love is not a sin. According to a hadith, it is stated that someone who fell in love with a woman and died concealing his love without telling anyone about it is considered to be a martyr. As you know, love is not emotional, out of the soul, but it is the name for the excessive affection out of the heart. For this reason, falling in love is not something one can control. It is religiously permissible that you think of her or that thoughts about her come to your mind. However, it is wrong to love her so much as to sacrifice blessed things. You stated your thought about her and asked for her permission to marry her. We believe that there is no use in insisting on it if she has refused your proposal because then it seems she has made her choice. We cannot foresee what will be good for us. There is a possibility of regretting the things that we are craving. So, it is the best to pray for the things that will be good for us and to maintain patience if we do not get what we want.
Maryam’s (Mary’s) mother had expected a baby boy. Yet, Allah gave her a girl and she was so upset about it. If we could ask her now whether she would prefer “dozens of boys or only one girl, Maryam”, she would have surely chosen Maryam because her daughter became the mother of a prophet.
So, this is how we had better act.
Questions on Islam
- Is falling in love considered a sin in Islam? Is it a sin to have this feeling only inside without telling anyone?
- Is a man who gives hope to another person that he will marry her and then gives up this thought regarded to have violated her rights?
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Zakariyya [Zacharias] & Yahya [John] (Peace be upon them)
- Who has the right of divorce?
- What does it mean to love and to hate for the sake of Allah? What should one understand from it? How should one love and hate for the sake of Allah?
- The Incident of Ifk
- Will you give information about Hz. Maryam's birth? They say Maryam has an interesting creation like the miraculous creation of Hz. Isa, her son. Where was Hz. Maryam born? How long did she live?
- What do we love more?
- Is it true that Hz. Maryam (Mary) did not menstruate and that she had a fiancé?