"I am delivered of a female child. And no wise is the male like the female. I have named her Mary." (3/36) Why is the statement "And no wise is the male like the female" included in the verse instead of "And no wise is the female like the male"?
"O my Lord! Behold! I am delivered of a female child. And no wise is the male like the female. I have named her Mary." (Aal-i Imran, 3/36) Why is the statement "And no wise is the male like the female" included in the verse instead of "And no wise is the female like the male"?
- When we generally mention the difficulties of being a girl, we say, "A girl is not like a boy." Although this phrase is expected in the context of the verse, the phrase "A boy is not like a girl" is used.
- How can it be explained?
Submitted by on Fri, 02/11/2018 - 14:49
Dear Brother / Sister,
"When she was delivered, she said: ‘O my Lord! Behold! I am delivered of a female child!’- and Allah knew best what she brought forth – ‘And no wise is the male Like the female. I have named her Mary, and I commend her and her offspring to Thy protection from the Evil One, the Rejected.’ (Aal-i Imran, 3/36)
The reason why the word male is used before the word female in the verse "And no wise is the male like the female " is the fact that Meryam’s (Mary’s) mother, Hanna, expected a male child.
That is, the syntax of the verse like that indicates the following: "The boy you expected is not as valuable as the girl you gave birth to. On the contrary, this girl is better than the boy you wanted."
(see Prof. Dr. Muhammad Mahmud Hijazi, at-Tafsir al-Wadih, İlim Publications: 1/273.)
Questions on Islam
- Will you explain the verses that mention the family of Imran? Is there a controversy whether the Mary mentioned in the verses (3/31-38) is Mary, the sister of Moses, or Mary, the mother of Christ?
- Will you give information about Hz. Maryam's birth? They say Maryam has an interesting creation like the miraculous creation of Hz. Isa, her son. Where was Hz. Maryam born? How long did she live?
- 3. Surah Aal-e-Imran (1- 51)
- Will you give detailed information about aqiqa sacrifice? Why are two animals sacrificed for a boy and one animal for a girl?
- Why does a newborn baby cry? I have read a hadith that when a person is born, the Satan touches him/her and he/she cries. Could you please explain this subject?
- Is the female bee indicated in verse 68 of the chapter of an-Nahl? If yes, does only the female bee produce honey? Does the male bee not produce honey?
- Can I have information about how we were created?
- According to the following verse, are there pairs of atoms, bacteria, viruses and snails: "And of everything We have created pairs: that ye may receive instruction"? (adh-Dhariyat, 51/49)
- Are men superior to women? What are the reasons for it?
- Scientific Miracles of the Qur'an is now available in HD format!