Is it permissible for a Muslim to live in a non-Muslim country?
Submitted by on Fri, 31/03/2023 - 13:27
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is permissible for a Muslim to go to a non-Muslim country and live there on the condition that he fulfills his Islamic responsibilities and keeps away from the customs and habits of non-Muslims.
If he can practice comfortably the Islamic customs and traditions, fulfill his deeds of worship and obligations easily, set an example to the people around him, it means he shows them the beauty of Islam. In that case, it is permissible for him to stay where he is and continue his exemplary life.
When Imam Ramli was asked whether Muslims living under the Christian administration in Aragon, Spain should migrate, he replied as follows:
“It is not permissible for them to migrate if they fully perform their worship because they may cause others to embrace Islam there.”
It is understood that a Muslim needs to show the beauties of Islam in the non-Muslim country where he lives by practicing and leading an exemplary life.
As it is known, before the conquest of Istanbul, a Muslim quarter was established near Hagia Sophia; the Muslims leading an exemplary Islamic life there played an important role in the surrender of Byzantium.
Questions on Islam
- Is it religiously permissible for a Muslim to live in a non-Muslim country?
- Is it a sin to go to non-Muslim countries?
- Is it permissible to work in a place where alcoholic drinks are served and sold?
- Is it permissible to gamble in non-Muslim countries (in dar al-harb)?
- Is it permissible to express good wishes for the religious feast days of our non-Muslim relatives?
- Are violation of personal rights in question between Muslims and non-Muslims living in Europe / foreign countries?
- The Muslims working in countries like Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands deposit their money in banks in order to keep them. Is it permissible to receive the interest given by the banks?
- Is it religiously permissible to draw interest in Dar-ul Harb?
- What does determine one country whether is an Islamic country or not?
- Will you give information about migrating because of not being able to practice Islam?