Is it objectionable to marry a woman who cannot have a child? Is there a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) prohibiting marrying women that cannot have children? How can we understand whether a woman can have children or not?
Submitted by on Mon, 26/11/2018 - 15:20
Dear Brother / Sister,
Men are advised to marry "fertile/prolific" women. The Prophet’s advice to some of his Companions to marry virgins seems to be related to fertility because age is important for fertility.
It does not mean "never marry women who cannot have children". There is no drawback to marrying them. We think the fertility of a woman means being at an age that can give birth to children. They are generally virgins.
That the Prophet (pbuh) himself married the women that could not have children due to old age proves that there is no drawback to marrying women who cannot have children. Accordingly, it is religiously permissible to marry a woman who cannot have a child.
The Prophet (pbuh) attracted attention to the importance of having children for the continuation of humanity by encouraging people to marry virgin and fertile women. As a matter of fact, the Prophet states the following in a hadith:
"Marry affectionate/loving and fertile women. For, I will be proud of you in the presence of other ummahs on the Day of Judgment." (Abu Dawud, Nikah, 2; Ibn Majah, Nikah,1; al-Fiqhul-Islami, VII/13)
Questions on Islam
- Is there a hadith of the Prophet (pbuh) about those who do not have any children?
- What are the rights of women in Islam? How do you answer the claims that Islam puts pressure and limitations on women?
- What is an illegitimate child? What does the religion of Islam say about this term?
- Are women neglected in the Islamic law?
- What are the ways of protection from Satan?
- How old was Aisha (R.A) when she got married to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?
- Can women enter the mosques where Friday prayers are performed and that have pulpits when they are in menstruation?
- What is the decree on the head-scarf in Islam? To what kind of danger does going out without a headscarf lead women?
- Will you explain verses 189 and 190 of the chapter of al-A'raf?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad