Is it forbidden for women to wear trousers (pants) in Islam?
Submitted by on Fri, 21/11/2008 - 00:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Those who look from different views may reach to different conclusions. So I will try to express my view and you can decide on that.
Today men and women’s clothing are not as clearly distinctive as in the past.
I am telling this for this reason.
Indeed for Muslim women’s clothing if the first issue is hijab (veiling), the second one is being different from men’s clothing.
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) damns on – Men who wear women’s clothing and women who wear men’s clothing, thus looking like the opposite gender. The society needs this separation for the identity protection of genders.
But today men’s clothing is not definite as in the past. Trousers became also part of women’s clothing. As a matter of fact men wear skirt like clothing in Saudi Arabia. So there is no a fixed men’s clothing. Therefore today trousers should be examined not from the aspect of being a part of men’s clothing or not, but being tight or loose and exposing the body shape or not. If a woman wears a wide enough trousers hiding the shape of her body and covers her hips hanging down her upper clothing, then this should not be considered as a men’s clothing.
One day a woman falls down from her donkey on the path near to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). He immediately turns his head to another direction. Then his companions tell him that no private part of the woman was seen because she wore pants under her skirt. Upon this Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) prays for women wearing pants under their skirts and preventing their legs from being seen even if they fall down. As Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) praised, wide/loose/baggy trousers can provide the needed covering when getting on a bus, going upstairs etc. So you may find my view correct or not, and you can decide on the subject knowing the facts. Your decision may be affected from your personal conditions and mood.
As you understand from the passage given above. Islam does not order a certain way of dressing and apparel. It does not force its followers to take a certain way of dressing. Additionally, something that Islam orders must not be forgotten. The main criterion on clothing of a woman is understood as:
§ Covering the private parts. (The private parts of a woman is the whole body except hands and face)
§ Not wearing transparent, short and tight clothes. (That is to say, the body and underclothes must not be seen.)
Questions on Islam
- 1).Can one ask prophet(pbuh) & saints for help bearing in mind that the Actual Helper is Allah?2).Could one ask a Prophet or a deceased saint to pray to allah on his behalf.3).Who is on correct way Deobandis or Barelvis in Indian sub-continent?
- What's the position of female slaves (concubines) in Islam? Is it allowed to have more than one female slaves?
- Special File of Sexuality Test
- What are the positive effects of belief in Qada and Qadar (destiny) on the life of man?
- How is salat (prayer) performed? Can you determine it orderly with photos?
- Al- Azim (The Magnificent)
- A war between Jews and Muslims at the end of time is mentioned. Will you give information about the talking of the tree or stone behind which a Jew hides?
- Belief in the Hereafter- The Proof of Wisdom
- INTRODUCTION / EPISTEMOLOGY OF BELIEF
- Some people suffer troubles and misfortunes in this world while others do not. Are those who are not hit by misfortunes very lucky?