I follow Hanafi madhhab. How should I perform prayers in congregation in a place where those who follow Shafii madhhab are in majority?
Shafiis are in majority in the place where I live. They say tasbihat just after the fard prayer. Shall I perform Sunnah prayers first or say tasbihat? Do I have to read al-Fatiha and an additional chapter or verses when I follow the imam?
Submitted by on Sat, 07/07/2018 - 15:34
Dear Brother / Sister,
You should act in accordance with Hanafi madhhab. You do not have to read al-Fatiha and an additional chapter or verses when you follow the imam. You should perform Sunnah prayers too.
When the imam is Shafii in a congregation whose majority is Shafii, there is no drawback to a Hanafi person to follow the Shafii imam. He does not have to do anything extra. He will perform his prayer based on the rules of his own madhhab. The imam’s performing the prayer with small differences does not affect the prayer of a Hanafi person.
Qada prayers are performed instead of the sunnahs of the daily prayers. However, it is not appropriate for a person to abandon both qada prayers and sunnah prayers because he has qada prayers.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to eat meat without researching who slaughter animals in countries where Jews and Christians are in majority?
- What are the necessary qualities for an Imam to have in order to lead a congregational prayer?
- Prayers in Congregation
- What should we do if iqamah is called while we are performing a sunnah prayer?
- If a person who has not performed the sunnah of the morning prayer (fajr) arrives at the congregation performing the fard, should he perform the sunnah prayer or follow the congregation?
- The Principles of Prayer
- Could you please give information about “Qiraah” (reading/reciting the Quran)?
- How many kinds of madhhabs related to fiqh are there?
- Is it valid for the congregation to salute after the imam salutes to the right and left?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?