I follow Hanafi madhhab. How should I perform prayers in congregation in a place where those who follow Shafii madhhab are in majority?
Shafiis are in majority in the place where I live. They say tasbihat just after the fard prayer. Shall I perform Sunnah prayers first or say tasbihat? Do I have to read al-Fatiha and an additional chapter or verses when I follow the imam?
Submitted by on Sat, 07/07/2018 - 15:34
Dear Brother / Sister,
You should act in accordance with Hanafi madhhab. You do not have to read al-Fatiha and an additional chapter or verses when you follow the imam. You should perform Sunnah prayers too.
When the imam is Shafii in a congregation whose majority is Shafii, there is no drawback to a Hanafi person to follow the Shafii imam. He does not have to do anything extra. He will perform his prayer based on the rules of his own madhhab. The imam’s performing the prayer with small differences does not affect the prayer of a Hanafi person.
Qada prayers are performed instead of the sunnahs of the daily prayers. However, it is not appropriate for a person to abandon both qada prayers and sunnah prayers because he has qada prayers.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible if I read adhan and iqamah silently, without moving my lips, when I perform missed (qada) prayers at home?
- How should one take refuge in Allah from Satan when he starts to read the Quran?
- When and how is tahajjud prayer performed and how is niyyah made?
- What are the major sins? What are the seven major sins? Fornication and polytheism (shirk) are major sins; are hidden shirk and fornication of the eyes also among major sins?
- What are the wisdoms behind the fact that the time of the Night of Power changes in Ramadan and that it is secret?
- How many prayers can be performed with one wudu?
- Does brushing one's teeth with toothpaste invalidate fasting?
- How can we answer those who say, “I Have No Time For Performing Prayers; I work very much”
- Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting?
- Is it haram (forbidden) to eat squid (calamari)?