Is it permissible to eat meat without researching who slaughter animals in countries where Jews and Christians are in majority?
- Is it permissible to eat meat without researching who slaughter animals in countries where People of the Book are in majority?
- We know that the meat of animals slaughtered by People of the Book is permissible to eat but it is getting harder and harder to follow it in the globalizing world. There are fast food brands such as McDonalds and Burger King; Christians and Jews are in majority in the countries such as America and Canada. Is it permissible to consume meat in such shops in those countries?
- It is difficult to find halal meat outside. However, it is difficult to follow up in such corporate companies. The majority of the population in those countries belongs to People of the Books. Can there be an exception for it?
- In addition, chicken companies slaughter chickens with automated machines.
Submitted by on Fri, 15/07/2022 - 14:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
The meat of the animals that People of the Book (Jews and Christians) slaughter and the food they cook duly can be eaten. The following is stated in the Quran regarding the issue:
“This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them.” (al-Maida, 5/5)
Slaughtering an animal duly is done by cutting the esophagus and trachea of the animal, as well as the two jugular veins or one of the two jugular veins.
The person to slaughter the animal must be sane and old enough to differentiate between what is good and bad. However, if it is definitely known that when a Christian from the People of the Book slaughtered an animal by mentioning the name of Messiah and a Jew by mentioning the name of Uzayr, what they slaughtered is not halal because animals slaughtered in the name of anyone/anything other than Allah cannot be eaten. (al-Maida, 5/3)
If the country where a Muslim lives is an Islamic country or a country where People of the Book are in majority, it is permissible to eat the meat of the animals that are permissible to eat such as cattle, sheep and chicken.
Therefore, it is permissible to eat the meat and meat products of the animals that Jews and Christians, whom we call People of the Book, slaughter duly.
Questions on Islam
- If a Muslim or a person from the people of the Book forgets to utter bismillah when he slaughters an animal, is it permissible for a Muslim to say bismillah before eating it and then eat it?
- Is it permissible for Muslims to eat meat slaughtered by Non-Muslims?
- What can a Muslim do If s/he cannot find Halal meat to eat?
- Is it permissible to eat the meat of a lamb that drunk dog’s milk? What things should we pay attention to related to animal feeds?
- Is it permissible for Muslims the meat slaughtered by non-Muslims?
- As Eid Al Adha Approaches…
- What are the frequent questions related to sacrificing an animal and their answers?
- What are the criteria for social intercourse with non-Muslims? Is it permissible to be business partners with them?
- Could you please give information about Hunting in Islam?
- What does Ahl al-Kitab (the People of the Book) Mean?