How was the Prophet (pbuh) able to enter Makkah after returning from Taif?
Submitted by on Tue, 11/10/2016 - 23:06
Dear Brother / Sister,
After his return from Taif, a group of jinn became Muslims upon hearing our Holy Prophet’s (PBUH) recital of the Quran. He resided in Batn Nahl for a period of time and then he headed towards Mecca. He knew that the Quraysh would not allow him to easily enter the city. For that reason, he had to acquire patronage from someone so he could enter Mecca in accordance with the tradition of the time.
Therefore, when he reached Hira, he sent someone to ask for the protection of Mut’im b. Adiyy, the polytheist. Mut’im accepted his wish, armed his sons and went to Hira together with them; then, he took the Prophet to Makkah. 1
The polytheists were angered by Mut’im’s actions but did not say anything.
The Pride of the Universe (PBUH) circumambulated the Kaba amid the polytheists’ glares that were filled with much enmity, prayed two rakahs there; then, he went to his home from there.
Throughout their lives, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) and the rest of the Muslims never forgot this kind gesture practiced by Mutim bin Adiyy, who was a polytheist. Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) even reminisced of this incident upon the Muslims’ victory against the polytheists in the Battle of Badr.
Mutim’s son, Jabir, came to Madina to speak on behalf of the slaves that were captured during Badr. After listening to Jabir’s request, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) said:
“If your father Mut’im had been alive and made a request on behalf of these men, I would have undoubtedly handed them over to Mut’im.” 2
1. Ibn Sa’d, ibid, V. 1, p. 212; Balazuri, Ansab, V. 1, p. 237.
2. Bukhari, Sahih, V. 4, p. 83.
Questions on Islam
- How was the Prophet welcomed in Taif, where he went to call people to Islam? What happened when he returned from Taif?
- How did the incident of a group of jinn becoming Muslims take place when the Prophet (pbuh) returned from Taif?
- How did Suraka bin Ju'shum become a Muslim during the return from the siege of Taif?
- Do you know anything about the end of Addas, the slave, who treated grapes to the Prophet in Taif?
- The Messenger of God Continues Conveying the Message
- The Battle of Uhud
- How should we interpret the hadiths about people becoming rich when Doomsday is near?
- Zaynab (r.anha)
- The Spread of Islam and the Divine Warning to the Prophet
- What are the two miracles that Abu Ruqana, who was a unique wrestler, saw from the Prophet (pbuh)?