How tall was the Prophet Adam and how long did he live? Is there a source you can show related to it?
Submitted by on Mon, 16/06/2014 - 10:59
Dear Brother / Sister,
In a hadith in Bukhari, one of the most trusted sources, our Prophet says;
“Allah (cc) created the Prophet Adam. He was about 60 ziras tall.”
It is stated in the hadith above that Hz. Adam was 60 ziras (about 40 meters) tall. However, some scholars like Ibn Khaldun (1332-1406) accept that this is his height in Paradise and upon being sent to the Earth with Hz. Hawwa (Eve), he was given a height appropriate to the standards of Planet Earth.
Given the facts
1) that no other beings but trees are known to be at this height,
2) that there are no findings demonstrating this on human fossils,
3) that our prophet’s (PBUH) similar descriptions are related to the hereafter, Ibn Khaldun’s views can be said to be reasonable.
The day Prophet Adam died was Friday. There are different narrations that his life lasted one thousand years or two. (Ibn.Sa'd-Tabaqat, 1/28,29, Ahmad b.Hanbal-Musnad 1/299, Tabari-Tarikh 1/79, Thalabi-Arais s.48, Daylami-Firdaws 3/269, Haythami-Majma az-Zawaid 8/206).
(M. Asım Köksal, Peygamberler Tarihi (The History of Prophets))
Questions on Islam
- How tall was the prophet Adam (PBUH) and how long did he live? Is there a source you can show related to it?
- Can you give information about Adam (pbuh)'s physical features?
- “What was the average lifespan of the previous people? Was it longer or shorter in comparison to that of today? I want a reasonable answer with evidence.”
- It is said that there is no death result of starvation. However, there are a large number of people dying of starvation. How do you explain this contradiction?
- Could you explain the hadith “There are three things that are essential for happiness: a righteous wife, a spacious home, and a sound means of transportation.” (Musnad, 1:168)? Could you give some detailed information on home?
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- What are the examples of dialogue during the time of our Prophet (PBUH) and his tolerance towards the followers of other religions?
- Will you give information about the face and appearance of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)?
- Prophet Adam (Peace be upon him)
- Was Satan (Iblis) from the jinn, if so why was he among the angels?