Can you give information about Adam (pbuh)'s physical features?
Submitted by on Mon, 06/04/2015 - 16:29
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is no detailed information about this subject in Islamic sources except a few narrations.
Narrated Abu Huraira, The Prophet said:
"Allah created Adam in his complete shape and form (directly), sixty cubits (about 30 meters) in height. The Prophet added 'So whoever will enter Paradise, will be of the shape and form of Adam. Since then the creation of Adam's (offspring) (i.e. stature of human beings) is being diminished continuously to the present time." (Tecrid Ter., IX, 77.)
According to Ibn Khaldun and Farid Wajdi, Adam’s height of 60 cubits is the size in heaven. When he came to the world with Eve, he was given a normal in accordance with the conditions of the earth. In some versions of this hadith the following is stated: ‘’Allah created Adam in his own shape.‘’ In another version of this hadith it is stated that Allah created man in Rahman’s form. The creation of Adam hence the humanity in Rahman’s form is explained as follows:
One aim of the above-mentioned Hadith is as follows: "Man is in a form showing the Divine Name of All-Merciful in its entirety."
For sure, as we explained before, just as the Divine Name of All-Merciful is manifest through the rays of a thousand and one Names on the face of the universe, and is apparent through the innumerable manifestations of Allah's absolute dominicality on the face of the earth, so also is the complete manifestation of the Name All-Merciful apparent in a small measure in man's comprehensive form, like on the face of the earth and the face of the universe.
A further indication is this: the evidences to the Necessarily Existent One of places of manifestation like animate creatures and man, who are proofs of and mirrors to the All-Merciful and Compassionate One, are so certain, clear, and obvious that just as it may be said of a shining mirror which reflects the image of the sun: "That mirror is the sun," indicating to the clarity of its brilliance and evidence, so also it has been said and may be said: "Man is in the form of the All-Merciful One," indicating to the clearness of his evidence and completeness of his connection.
It is as a consequence of this mystery that the more moderate of those who believed in 'the unity of existence' said: "There is no existent but He," as a way of expressing the clarity of this evidence and perfection of connection. (Nursi, Words, 12-13.)
Questions on Islam
- Fifth Mystery: The explanation of the hadith, “Allah created man in the form of the All-Merciful One.
- How tall will people be in the hereafter? They say people will be 30 meters tall. They say Hz. Adam was taller. Is that right?
- Third Stopping-Place: The point of views of the people of misguidance and the people of guidance on the worldly life.
- Prophet Adam (Peace be upon him)
- What is universal life? What is man’s original homeland?
- Third Mystery: What makes this universe rejoice is Divine Mercy.
- Fourth Mystery: The seal of Divine Oneness is shown within the stamp of Divine Mercy.
- Fifth Point: What meanings does a person who performs five daily prayers in times that each one indicates specific periods in the life span of man and universe express?
- The Second Station of the Fourteenth Flash On six of the thousands of mysteries of Basmala (In the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate)
- Some questions that can come to the mind about the miracle of Miraj (Ascension): Why is the great Ascension peculiar to Hz. Muhammad (pbuh)? A plane can go up to one or two kilometers with a lot of difficulties.