How many times can the janazah prayer of a person be performed when he dies?
Submitted by on Sun, 01/05/2016 - 00:26
Dear Brother / Sister,
Janazah prayer is performed only once. It is makruh to perform a janazah prayer again. It is better to perform separate janazah prayers for each janazah. However, it is valid if one janazah prayer is performed for more than one janazahs. (Mehmet Dikmen, İslam İlmihali; Celal Yıldırım - Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı)
If a janazah prayer is performed without the permission of the guardian of the dead person and if the guardian has not joined the janazah prayer, he can perform the janazah prayer alone or by leading it for the people who have not been able to perform it like him again. However, this is not permissible for the people other than the inheritors of the dead person. After the guardian who has missed the janazah prayer performs the janazah prayer separately, another guardian or relative cannot perform it again. For, the guardianship of that person is full and valid. (see Nimetü'l-İslam, Kitabü's-Salat p. 591)
According to Hanafi and Maliki madhhabs, it is makruh to perform a janazah prayer for the second time.
However, according to Shafii and Hanbali madhhabs, it is sunnah to perform a janazah prayer again for a person who misses it. For, Umm Sa'd died when the Prophet (pbuh) was away. When he returned, he performed her janazah prayer again though a month had passed after her death. (Halil Gönenç. Günümüz Meselelerine Fetvalar I. Cilt)
It is disputable whether a janazah prayer can be performed in the absence of the dead body. According to Shafii and Hanbalis, it is permissible. For, the Prophet (pbuh) learned through revelation that the Negus of Abyssinia, who had become a Muslim beforehand, died and he summoned the Muslims to perform his janazah prayer.
However, janazah prayer in the absence of the dead body does not replace the janazah prayer in the presence of the dead body, which is fard al-kifayah. That is, janazah prayer must be performed in the presence of the dead body, too. (Mughni'l-Muhtaj, 1/345; Fiqhus-Sunnah, 1/535)
According to Hanafis and Malikis, janazah prayer is not performed in the absence of the dead body.
Questions on Islam
- Janazah Prayer
- What can be done as charity, prayer and favor for a dead person? What supplications and chapters along with the chapter of Yasin should be read to decrease a dead person’s penalty in the grave?
- Fiqh decree on abandoning prayers
- janazah salaah twice on mayyit that is present
- Why do we not bow down and prostrate in janazah prayer?
- How is salat-ul janazah (funeral prayer) performed?
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers with shoes on? Is the same thing valid for janazah prayer?
- Life in the Grave is True
- How should funeral prayer and burial processes be carried out during an epidemic disease?