How did the Prophet (pbuh) lead the janazah prayer of the Abyssinian king, the Negus Ashama?
Submitted by on Mon, 15/04/2019 - 15:53
Dear Brother / Sister,
It was one day in the month of Rajab in the 9th year of the Migration.
The Messenger of Allah was together with many Companions.
Meanwhile he said, “Today, one of your righteous brothers died. Stand up and perform his janazah prayer.”1
The Companions got ready immediately and performed the janazah prayer of “their righteous brother” behind the Messenger of Allah.
After the prayers, the Messenger of Allah said, “We asked mercy of Allah from Allah for your brother Ashama, the Negus.”2
Thereupon, the Companions learned that “their righteous brother” was Ashama, the Negus of Abyssinia.
The news that reached Madinah about a week later informed them that the Negus of Abyssinia had died on the day that the Prophet had said.
Ashama, the Negus of Abyssinia, was invited to Islam by the Messenger of Allah in the 7th year of the Migration by a letter. Ashama embraced Islam at once. He said to the Muslim envoy,
“Instead of this sultanate, I wish I were the servant of Muhammad (pbuh). Being a servant of him is superior to being a Sultan.”3
1. Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, Musnad, Vol. 3, p. 400.
2. Muslim, Sahih, Vol. 2, p. 657.
3. Ibn Kathir, Sirah, Vol. 2, p. 30.
Questions on Islam
- When did Umm Kulthum, who was the daughter of the Messenger of Allah and wife of Hz. Uthman, pass away?
- When was the first decree of retaliation given?
- When was Hz. Husayn born?
- How did Ka'b bin Zuhayr, the poet, become a Muslim?
- Will you give information about Musab Bin Umayr?
- How did the representatives of the tribe of Sons of Hilal visit the Prophet (pbuh) and how did they become Muslims?
- When was hajj rendered fard? What verses were sent down regarding the issue?
- After the conquest of Makkah, the Islamic state got stronger and its land expanded. How did this affect the tribes around it?
- How did Uyayna bin Hisn the leader of Ghatafans become a Muslim?
- Can prayers be skipped due to illness, to be performed later as qada? Did the Prophet (pbuh) perform prayers when he was ill?