Is the hadith about not letting children go out at night and the necessity of covering the food and drinks sound?
Submitted by on Mon, 31/05/2010 - 16:44
Dear Brother / Sister,
Hazrat Jabir narrates: our Prophet (pbuh) said the following: “When night falls (or when it is evening), stop your children from going out, for the devils spread out at that time. But when an hour of the night has passed, release them and close the doors and mention Allah's Name, for Satan does not open a closed door. Tie the mouth of your water-skin and mention Allah's Name; cover your containers and utensils and mention Allah's Name. Cover them even by placing something across it, and extinguish your lamps.” (Bukhari, Ashriba, 22).
- The hadis is sound. In general, the precautions that need to be taken at night are mentioned in the hadith.
- In order to understand the issue better, it is necessary to think of the ages when it was dark at night especially outside, when there was no light outside and when there were harmful insects around. In an environment like that, it is always possible for children to be harmed. It is a valid precaution to cover the plates and pans and to close the doors.
- It is possible that satans lead mice and other harmful creatures to harm people; it is also possible that those harmful creatures, parasites and viruses are named as satans figuratively because they harm people insidiously like satans. It is necessary to cover the plates and pots in order to be protected from harmful creatures whether they are visible like mice and flies or invisible.
As a matter of fact, it is important that children do not wander outside unnecessarily at night even today. Instead harmful creatures, they may be harmed by satans disguised as human beings, who are more dangerous than harmful creatures. We find out about incidents like that in the media every day.
Ibn Daqiq al-Id says: "There are both religious and worldly benefits in the order of closing the doors. The people and their property will be protected from the evil of idle people, mischievous people and especially satans."
The sentence: "The devil cannot open a closed door" is a kind of precaution to prevent satans and beings like satans from coming to places where human beings live. The fact that its reason is explained by knowing the situation of the satan is to attract attention to a secret matter that only prophets can know and to warn people.
The advice to cover the pots and plates containing food and drink is a kind of precaution to lead us to attention and alertness all the time.
- To extinguish the kindling is advised in order to prevent fires caused by candles and firewood lit for illumination when people are asleep.
- Mentioning the name of Allah, that is, uttering basmala is a shield that believers should use for protection.
We think that it is necessary to understand the hadith like that.
Questions on Islam
- What is the decree about leaving food uncovered? It is said that the food that is left uncovered cannot be eaten. Is it true?
- Could you explain the hadith “There are three things that are essential for happiness: a righteous wife, a spacious home, and a sound means of transportation.” (Musnad, 1:168)? Could you give some detailed information on home?
- Ramadan, the month in which Paradise is decorated
- Special File of Sexuality Test
- What are the traps (tricks) of Satan?
- How should we inform our children about sexuality?
- It is stated in a verse that visitors should not go to the Prophet’s house. How can it be explained?
- What is Delusion (waswasa)? Could You Inform Us of its Reasons?
- Prophet Adam (Peace be upon him)
- 2. Prayer