What is the decree about leaving food uncovered? It is said that the food that is left uncovered cannot be eaten. Is it true?
Submitted by on Fri, 23/12/2016 - 17:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is not a sin to leave the food uncovered. However, the Prophet advised us to cover the food and drinks. It is nice to follow this advice but a person who does not act accordingly is not regarded to have committed a sin.
It is not appropriate to leave food and drinks uncovered because some living beings like flies, insects and ants, the foreign substances around and in the air can enter in them and they can go off quickly when they contact air. Therefore, it is among good manners to be careful and to cover the food and drinks.
When they are put in a fridge or cupboard, they are regarded to have been covered.
There are two hadith narrations regarding the issue:
"Cover the containers and tie the mouths of your water skins" (Bukhari, Ashriba, Bab 22, Bad´ul-Khalq: 11, 14, Isti´zan: 49, 50; Muslim, Ashriba: 96-99)
"When night falls (or when it is evening), stop your children from going out, for the devils spread out at that time. But when an hour of the night has passed, release them and close the doors and mention Allah's Name, for Satan does not open a closed door. Tie the mouth of your waterskin and mention Allah's Name; cover your containers and utensils and mention Allah's Name. Cover them even by placing something across it, and extinguish your lamps." (Bukhari, Ashriba, Bab 21, Hadith no: 47, 48)
For more information please click on the link given below;
Questions on Islam
- What are the decrees of our religion about treatment? Are there any places where it is permissible to be treated with haram things?
- What Will Mahdi Do?
- We do not buy Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola thinking that the money we give is used by the Israeli army against Muslims. What will the degree of our responsibility be if we buy them?
- Is it forbidden to feed dog in Islam?
- What is the criterion for extravagance and generosity? How can we distinguish between extravagance and generosity?
- Will you give information about arranging time?
- What are the signs of the Doomsday (Qiyamah)?
- A war between Jews and Muslims at the end of time is mentioned. Will you give information about the talking of the tree or stone behind which a Jew hides?
- Where on Earth will everyone be on the Last Day when Allah resurrects us and gets ready to judge everybody?
- Is Reproduction in Nature a Coincidence?