Does one need to have wudu or ghusl in order to read the Qur'an in English language?
Submitted by on Mon, 07/12/2009 - 21:10
Dear Brother / Sister,
The translations and explanations of the Quran are not regarded as the Quran itself. Therefore, they can be touched and read without having wudu.
Since women are regarded to be junub in the periods of menstruation and puerperum, it is not regarded permissible for them to touch the Quran, to read the Quran by heart or by looking at it in Hanafi and Shafii sects. However, they can read basmala, and the verses that have the meaning of dhikr and supplication with the intention of dhikr and supplication without having the intention of reading the Quran. If it is necessary, they can teach it to others by reading it letter by letter or syllable by syllable.
Accordingly, women can read “ayat-ul kursi”, al-Fatiha and al-Ikhlas with the intention of supplication and dhikr in the periods of menstruation and puerperum.
In Maliki and Hanbali sects, it is regarded permissible for women to read the Quran by heart or by looking at it but without touching it in the periods of menstruation and puerperum.
Accordingly, women learning or memorizing the Quran in the periods of menstruation and puerperum can read the Quran and teach it to others by imitating Maliki and Hanbali sects. When there is an obligation, it is permissible for them to touch the Quran.
However, it is better not to read the Quran for the women who are not students with the intention of worshipping.
Questions on Islam
- Which Surahs and Durood's can be recited during menstruation period??
- Will you give information about the following hadith? The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, "People with black banners will come from the East among the children of Abbas."
- Belief in the Hereafter- The Proof of Wisdom
- Belief in the Hereafter- The Proof of Justice
- Who created God?
- I make wudu, wear makeup and perform prayers after that. Is it permissible? Is it permissible to perform prayers after wearing perfume?
- What are the manners, methods and sunnahs of reciting the Quran?
- Why do we follow a madhhab?
- How did the Prophet receive revelation? What was the state of the Prophet like in the face of the heaviness of revelation?
- Which Islamic sect (madhhab) is better to follow? Which one is superior to others?