Did Hz. Nuh (Noah) continue the duty of prophethood after the deluge too?
Submitted by on Mon, 21/01/2019 - 14:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
The following information is included in the Quran regarding the age of Hz. Nuh:
"We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin. But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples." (al-Ankabut, 29/14-15)
According to what is understood from the verse above, Hz. Nuh lived with his nation for 950 years but it is not indicated whether this period included his whole life or his prophethood or the period up to the deluge. According to those who accept this figure as the whole life of the Prophet Nuh, he became a prophet at the age of forty, the deluge took place when he was 890 years old and he lived for sixty years after the deluge.
According to those who regard that figure as the period before the deluge and the period of prophethood before the deluge, the age of the Prophet Nuh is much more than that. (Firuzabadi, Basa'iru dhawit-Tamyiz, Beirut, VI/30)
According to the view of Ibn Abbas, the Prophet Nuh lived for 1780 years and was buried in a place near Masjid al-Haram. (Sabuni, an-Nubuwwa wal-Anbiya, Damascus 1985, 154)
Questions on Islam
- Did the Flood of Noah cover the whole world? Did the humankind continue from Hz. Nuh (Noah)?
- Prophet Nuh [Noah] (Peace be upon him)
- “What was the average lifespan of the previous people? Was it longer or shorter in comparison to that of today? I want a reasonable answer with evidence.”
- The Flood of Noah
- How did human beings go to and settle in continents? How did they go especially to America?
- The Flood of Noah
- How can it be explained that the life of the Prophet Nuh (Noah) is narrated as a whole in the Torah but briefly and in bits in the Quran?
- Who helped Hz. Nuh (Noah) when he built the Ark?
- How would you answer the claims that the incidents like the Deluge of Noah (Nuh) and the Red Sea being split into two are mentioned in the Sumerian, Babylonian and Egyptian resources and that they were copied from those resources?
- Where were Hazrat Adam and Hazrat Hawwa (Eve) buried?