Did Hz. Nuh (Noah) continue the duty of prophethood after the deluge too?
Submitted by on Mon, 21/01/2019 - 14:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
The following information is included in the Quran regarding the age of Hz. Nuh:
"We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin. But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples." (al-Ankabut, 29/14-15)
According to what is understood from the verse above, Hz. Nuh lived with his nation for 950 years but it is not indicated whether this period included his whole life or his prophethood or the period up to the deluge. According to those who accept this figure as the whole life of the Prophet Nuh, he became a prophet at the age of forty, the deluge took place when he was 890 years old and he lived for sixty years after the deluge.
According to those who regard that figure as the period before the deluge and the period of prophethood before the deluge, the age of the Prophet Nuh is much more than that. (Firuzabadi, Basa'iru dhawit-Tamyiz, Beirut, VI/30)
According to the view of Ibn Abbas, the Prophet Nuh lived for 1780 years and was buried in a place near Masjid al-Haram. (Sabuni, an-Nubuwwa wal-Anbiya, Damascus 1985, 154)
Questions on Islam
- Did the Flood of Noah cover the whole world? Did the humankind continue from Hz. Nuh (Noah)?
- How old was Aisha (R.A) when she got married to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?
- The Quran tells us that the wives of Hz. Nuh and Hz. Lut were unbelievers. Was it permissible to marry unbelievers in their shari’ah?
- Is it true that the Prophet was transferred into His mother’s womb on the night of Raghaib?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- What is the difference between the Qur’an and the other divine books?
- Is Hz. Ali a prophet? Will you give information about Hz. Ali?
- Should a Muslim be guided by the Quran or hadiths? Are the Sunnah and Hadiths binding? To what extent are hadiths reliable?
- What is the wisdom behind the creation of the earth and the skies in six days? What are those six days like? Are they different from our days?
- Can it be proved that Islam is a religion of love, peace and tolerance? Can you give examples about it?