Is determining the time for prayers when uttering intention (niyyah) essential while praying with jamaah (in congregation) or singly?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 16:32
Dear Brother / Sister,
For nafilah (supererogatory) prayers, there is no need to determine the time when uttering intention. It is enough to say, "I intend to pray for the sake of Allah" with tongue or by heart.
In fard prayers, it is essential to determine the time when uttering intention. It should be like this: "I intend to pray the fard of today's zuhr (noon) prayer"...
Determining the time while uttering intention is also essential in Friday, Eid, Janazah (funeral) and Witr prayers.
As for Qada (missed) prayers, the prayer which is to be performed must be uttered. If it is not known, the following intention can be made, "I intend to perform the last missed (Qada) of zuhr (noon) or asr (afternoon) prayer..."
The person who follows the imam must say the following phrase "I'm following the Imam who is ready to pray".
Questions on Islam
- How Many Pillars (Essential Parts) are there in a Prayer?
- How the intention is made for the prayers missed (rendered qada) two-three years ago?
- How is intention made for sunnah prayers?
- What is the time to make intention for fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Is it fard to make intention?
- If a person cannot wake up for the morning prayer (fajr), if he, say, gets up at 9 o’clock, how can he perform the morning prayer?
- When should one make niyyah (intention) while praying in congregation? Is it all right to make niyyah before the imam utters takbir?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- Is the fasting of a person who does not intend for missed Ramadan fasting with his heart or tongue until imsak time but intends later until noon valid?
- Is it permissible to unite the intention (niyyah) for a supererogatory prayer and a missed prayer? That is, is it permissible to make intention for both a missed prayer and a supererogatory prayer while starting a prayer?
- Prayers in Congregation