Can women read the Quran while they are menstruating?
Submitted by on Sat, 21/11/2009 - 09:16
Dear Brother / Sister,
A woman cannot read or recite even a verse from the Quran when she is in menstruation. She can only read some verses that contain supplication like the chapter al-Fatiha and ayah al-kursi with the intention of prayer. A woman who is in menstruation can listen to the khatm al-Quran (reading the Quran from the beginning to the end). It is hoped that she receives the reward of the khatm when she listens to it.
Questions on Islam
- Is it possible to do a khatm al-Quran by following or listening to it from a device like a TV set, telephone or computer?
- Does reading the chapter of al-Ikhlas gain man the reward of a khatm al-Quran?
- Could you please give information about the wisdom and benefits of reciting/reading Ayat al-Kursi?
- How is Tarawih Prayer Performed?
- Can girls recite Quran during their periods?
- States Peculiar to Women (Menstruation- Puerperium- Excuse)
- Can women enter the mosques where Friday prayers are performed and that have pulpits when they are in menstruation?
- What can be done as charity, prayer and favor for a dead person? What supplications and chapters along with the chapter of Yasin should be read to decrease a dead person’s penalty in the grave?
- Is it permissible for menstruating women to read the Holy Qur’an and its translation; is it also necessary to cover the head while reading?